Advice please for coming winter months (for newbie!)

• 2 Replies

Suze_w

Advice please for coming winter months (for newbie!)
« on: October 12, 2011, 00:50 »
Hello to you all!
I'm new to the forum, and chicken keeping, so would welcome some tips for looking after my 3 ex batt chooks (Amy, Dora and Olive) during the winter.  My main concern is that in a few weeks time I'll be out at work from the the dark morning to the dark evening! What do I do about daily de-pooping of the house? Will it upset the chooks if I put a light on and clean up? I'd love to hear how others manage.

Another concern is hen house ventilation. There are no vents in the house and up till now I've left the pophole open, but will be closing it at night when the weather turns colder. (I started off with a combined house/run, but have built a larger, roofed - and fox proofed - run around it as it seemed a bit small). I've thought of drilling a few holes above head height? Would that be sufficient? I don't want the ventilation to become a draught!
All ideas welcome!

Cheers

Suze
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 01:08 by Suze_w »

hillfooter

Re: Advice please for coming winter months (for newbie!)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 02:55 »
Hello to you all!
I'm new to the forum, and chicken keeping, so would welcome some tips for looking after my 3 ex batt chooks (Amy, Dora and Olive) during the winter.  My main concern is that in a few weeks time I'll be out at work from the the dark morning to the dark evening! What do I do about daily de-pooping of the house? Will it upset the chooks if I put a light on and clean up? I'd love to hear how others manage.  Do it at the weekends, daily poo picking shouldn't be necessary if your house design is good.  Droppings areas under perches should not be available for birds to pick in.  If they are you should consider modifying the design.  Putting a light on shouldn't be a problem

Another concern is hen house ventilation. There are no vents in the house and up till now I've left the pophole open, but will be closing it at night when the weather turns colder. (I started off with a combined house/run, but have built a larger, roofed - and fox proofed - run around it as it seemed a bit small). I've thought of drilling a few holes above head height? Would that be sufficient? I don't want the ventilation to become a draught!  This needs to be fixed and holes of 3cm or so will be needed above head height and baffling then with an external baffle plate spaced off the house by 3 cms or so will prevent drirect draughts.  Or use a heavy polythene curtain asa stop gap measure.  Best of luck HF
All ideas welcome!

Cheers

Suze
Truth through science.

Suze_w

Re: Advice please for coming winter months (for newbie!)
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 23:43 »
Thanks HF - I didn't think of a baffle to prevent draughts - should be easy enough to do!  The poo picking won't be insurmountable either methinks.  I shall miss seeing my chooks during the week though :(

Thanks again

Suze

xx
Cleaning Coop in Winter months

Started by Dickie73 on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post January 29, 2011, 10:35
by alisonwo
xx
Can you hatch eggs during the winter months?

Started by nuzuki on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post December 05, 2012, 15:29
by joyfull
xx
Fruit and veg advice (heck - any advice!) for a newbie chook owner!

Started by cathy81walking on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post March 02, 2010, 11:30
by cathy81walking
xx
Advice for a newbie

Started by newbie chick on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post April 17, 2009, 10:08
by andreadon

Page created in 0.479 seconds with 28 queries.