garden fence

• 7 Replies

darren64

garden fence
« on: October 09, 2011, 19:47 »
I intend to let my chickens roam free at the top of my garden,how high will the fence need to be to stop them flying over,its 4',6'' in some places.

helens-hens

Re: garden fence
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2011, 20:30 »
Different types of hen have different flying capabalities. I think the heavier types may struggle to reach 4ft 6 but a lighter type would scale this height without a problem.

The only sure way to keep them in would be to clip the feathers of 1 wing. Some owners prefer not to do this as it could hinder a bird trying to escape a predator. I would also say that even with a clipped wing some hen would probably still be able to get up to 4ft 6 (i of min could).

I have fairly high walls / fences all around the garden but I know that 1 of my hens would have no problem in flying over if she wanted to but luckily she seems quite happy with her own garden. Perhaps let them out and see if they are inclined to escape. Have some treats on hand in case!
Helen

darren64

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2011, 20:51 »
I was thinking maybe clipping one wing or maybe getting a 2 foot roll of mesh and just extending the height of the fence,in some places the fence is  already 6 foot.

Raven81

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2011, 21:02 »
Ours have 1 wing clipped and easily get up our 4ft wall in the middle of the garden, however they haven't even looked at the 3ft fence into next door.

Remember its not just flying over but other animals getting in that you have to think about.
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

darren64

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2011, 21:11 »
we have already got 2 garden rabbits and nowt has got in for them in the last 4 years.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2011, 23:30 »
One of our Blackrocks can fly atleast 7 feet on a vertical take off.   :ohmy:  Straight off the ground to the lowest branch in our silver birch tree.  None of our girls have tried to fly over any of the 6 ft fence enclosing the garden.  Plenty to keep them entertained is the key I think.
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

hillfooter

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2011, 00:53 »
One of our Blackrocks can fly atleast 7 feet on a vertical take off.   :ohmy:  Straight off the ground to the lowest branch in our silver birch tree.  None of our girls have tried to fly over any of the 6 ft fence enclosing the garden.  Plenty to keep them entertained is the key I think.

More like it's plenty to eat and drink!  chx are territorial and will associate any natural barrier as a boundary.  They don't usually want to wonder beyond where they have food and feel safe so there's no need to restrain them usually.  howver there are some breeds which are more flighty than others bantams generally are inclined to wander.  Wing clipping is usually not the best answer and frequently is not effective either.

I'd ensure tehre's food readily at hand ad lib 9at all times freely avaiable) and then just see how it goes before you decide to build higher fences or wing clip.  birds like to perch on fences and a solid roost is an attraction for them so a loose net or string they can't perch on is more effective than a solid fence.

HF
Truth through science.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2011, 17:14 »

More like it's plenty to eat and drink!  chx are territorial and will associate any natural barrier as a boundary.  They don't usually want to wonder beyond where they have food and feel safe so there's no need to restrain them usually.  howver there are some breeds which are more flighty than others bantams generally are inclined to wander.  Wing clipping is usually not the best answer and frequently is not effective either.

I'd ensure tehre's food readily at hand ad lib 9at all times freely avaiable) and then just see how it goes before you decide to build higher fences or wing clip.  birds like to perch on fences and a solid roost is an attraction for them so a loose net or string they can't perch on is more effective than a solid fence.

HF

:lol:  Thats what I meant, they are that busy eating and scratting about they are not interested in the "greener grass on the other side".   :D

xx
Electric fence vs fixed fence...

Started by Hen 1-0 Fox on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2012, 08:05
by nerdle
xx
can i get away with 8 ft fence

Started by karlooben on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post July 30, 2008, 19:50
by karlooben
xx
electric fence

Started by chelseablue on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post October 28, 2007, 16:36
by chelseablue
xx
How high for a fence

Started by netserve on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post August 13, 2008, 20:19
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.347 seconds with 28 queries.