Dustbaths??

• 27 Replies

poppysmate

Re: Dustbaths??
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 13:39 »
We got our 4 girls 4 weeks ago and just as you did bought a cat litter tray and filled it with sand.  Their reaction was as you described.  I then read a piece somewhere about compost and happened to have some all purpose compost lying around in the greenhouse (so it was dry).  I added it 50/50 by volume to the sand and put it in the run.  The girls went mad and started pushing each other around to get in.  This reminded me of the age old question "how many chickens can fit into a cat litter tray (or was it a mini?).

Last night I put in all purpose compost straight from the bag and mixed with damp sand (I'd run out of dry) and the pushing started again.

Worth a try.

Anndee

• Experienced Member
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 19:14 »
I bought a lovely bright pink kiddies sand pit with a lid for when it rains. Unfortunately due to the heavy rainfall in the last 3 days , and me not quick enough to cover it. It is now like a muddy pond  :wub:
Soon as we get some sun and dries out, the lid is going on.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 12:41 by Anndee »

tracy66

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 19:45 »
Many thanks for all the replies everyone we'll definitely try the 50/50 mix of sand and compost at the weekend and let you know how it goes! :)
3 chooks - April, May & Julie
1 Retired Greyhound - June

hillfooter

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 19:45 »
I wonder what chickens must have done before trugs, seed trays, old tyres and children's sand pits :unsure:  They must have been at a complete loss :lol: :lol:

HF
Truth through science.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 22:45 »
...This reminded me of the age old question "how many chickens can fit into a cat litter tray (or was it a mini?)...

:lol:

vanessa.xx

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 23:31 »
I suprised one of my girls while she was bathing today and she jumped out and shook the dry soil off everywhere, unfortunatley i was wearing lip gloss and ended up with soil lips  :tongue2: it wasn't pleasent  ::)

hillfooter

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2011, 00:06 »
I suprised one of my girls while she was bathing today and she jumped out and shook the dry soil off everywhere, unfortunatley i was wearing lip gloss and ended up with soil lips  :tongue2: it wasn't pleasent  ::)

You're not supposed to get in there with them vanessa, lip gloss or no lip glass. :tongue2:
HF

Skywise

« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2011, 11:42 »
I tried the 50/50 compost to sand mixture this morning - now they're eating sand *and* compost.

*sigh*

alisonwo

• Experienced Member
  • Hubby with browny his favourite
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2011, 13:11 »
Hello Byegrace I bought a couple of them from Regency Poultry in Leics when I was up North
seeing my family but I presume they are now available elsewhere, they also make great drinking bowls for the girls. alison

bygrace

• Experienced Member
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 19:25 »
Thanks Alison, I'll keep my eyes open. I like the idea of the handles - I don't have a very good grip so need to look out for theses things.
Methinks I'll be visiting lots of farmshops and poultry suppliers from now on!
BG

Derculees

« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2011, 21:34 »
I bought one of those clear plastic storage boxes with a lid (handy for when it rains)
size about 30 x 15 x 15 inches deep. Added river sand, charcoal dust from used BBQ bags
sieved ashes from the BBQ and a good dusting of anti mite powder. I enticed them into it with
a hand full of mixed corn and see 3 of the 4 in there together regularly.
They have also discoverd where I dumped the peat from my used tomato growbags, which is
sheltered by trimmed conifers, I also dust this area with anti mite powder
Yorkshire Rose x Scottish Thistle - nice blooms, but wear a glove

Skywise

« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2011, 11:42 »
I've taken the cat litter tray out and put in the top section and lid of my wormery filled with sand and compost and they seem to have finally caught on to the idea of dustbathing.  Two of them have been in there together for about half an hour!  It's lovely to see them having such fun  :)

Sassy

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2011, 18:54 »
alisonwo - natty green shallow trug! Where did you find that?

You should be able to find similar trugs at horsey shops and in some garden centres or hardware stores. Baby baths also work well and you can usually get old ones from Freecycle. Wood ash from the fire is another possible constituent of a dust bath :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

xx
Dustbaths

Started by Sassy on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 05, 2008, 18:03
by nnbreeder

Page created in 0.255 seconds with 36 queries.