Dustbaths

• 7 Replies

Sassy

Dustbaths
« on: October 04, 2008, 15:26 »
Hi

I notice there has been a recent posting about providing a dust bath for chooks. I currently do not do this and it seems I should. I have a deep baby bath that I can use but is there a special type of sand that I should use or any other form of 'dust' that would be suitable. I will also put some Diatom in as suggested.  :?  :?
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

poultrygeist

Dustbaths
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2008, 17:42 »
Hi Sassy.

They need somewhere to bathe, so if they have no little dustbowls around their area, a baby bath would be ideal.

You can use anything from dry soil, sharp sand (£1.35/20kg) or any sort of dusty/sandy soil.

And the diatom is an excellent idea. :)

Rob 8)

mumsy

Dustbaths
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2008, 17:43 »
Hi
Some people use builders sand, I use play sand as NO chemicals, I mix it with wood ash from our fire, soil & diatom or louse powder.  Mine have made their own dustbath on the floor of their shelter, which I fill with the above.  I did buy a cat litter tray but they refuse to use it :roll:  :roll:

You don't have to use sand at all if you don't want to.  If they free range they will soon find a 'hot spot' on the garden bed :wink:

Zak the Rabbit

• My (occasional) blog -
Dustbaths
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2008, 19:19 »
mines got sharp sand/fine grit from the builders merchants, some diatom and the contents of a used growbag in it
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
the rabbit of caerbannogg

Oliveview

Dustbaths
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2008, 23:19 »
It is quite amusing seeing the hens dust bath themselves-  I never realised a hen could almost lay on it´s back and still throw soil/dust everywhere :lol:  
Pamela

kimT

• http://www.thepoultrygarden.com
Dustbaths
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2008, 09:16 »
Our girls have a large tin planter that looks like a bath and I fill it with Sharps sand.....................they love it and it's very amusing when there are so many lots of feathers in it at the same time you can't do a beak count! :lol:

Sassy

Dustbaths
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2008, 17:58 »
Hi Thank you all very much for your suggestions. I will get right on to it tomorrow. We have had such a wet summer there is no where dry enough for them to have  a dust bath!  :D  :D

nnbreeder

• Experienced Member
Dustbaths
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2008, 18:03 »
Wet never stopped mine! It is hard to have a white bird remain white with our red clay soil!

xx
Dustbaths??

Started by tracy66 on The Hen House

27 Replies
Last post October 16, 2011, 18:54
by Sassy

Page created in 0.242 seconds with 37 queries.