Shed roof - felt nails or not?

• 16 Replies

savbo

Shed roof - felt nails or not?
« on: September 28, 2011, 11:39 »
I've reroofed a few sheds and always followed the instructions using sealant/adhesive and felt nails. But I've just seen a review on B*Q site saying not use the nails as they act as hot spots and burn through the felt after a few seasons. Any thoughts?

I've bought some Value felt to do a shed this weekend, know it's not the greatest stuff but hopefully will last a few years...

savbo

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Shed roof - felt nails or not?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 11:56 »
I've re-roofed my shed twice in 11 years, first time with cheap felt (lasted about 4 years) and last time with a higher quality stuff (2 years and counting, slowly!)

It usually seems to start cracking where it has been bent round the edges rather than where it has been tacked (I'm not saying BQ are wrong but to me it's which event happens first!)

Make sure you do it on a warm day (you may well be lucky this weekend!) otherwise the felt may be weakened at the folds even as you fit it.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

savbo

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 12:26 »
might take back the £18 Value roll and trade up to the £32 Super roll...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 12:39 »
might take back the £18 Value roll and trade up to the £32 Super roll...

I would (it's not the worst job in the world and very satisfying when it's done, but I still wouldn't want to be doing it more often than necessary unless I was planning to move in the next couple of years.)  :)

You might want to consider lining at least the "sharp" edges with something like garden fleece to slightly soften the contours of the bends when you put the felt on but TBH I didn't bother!

8doubles

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 12:55 »
Plenty of lap cement on the overlaps should be enough and a felt nail every 4" around the eaves. The trick is to fill the overlap so the wind or rain cannot get in to start too lift the felt without it squeezing out and making a mess.

Plenty of old rags and a bottle of white spirit for cleaning hands and tools is a must ! :)

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 13:08 »
Just post "OK" Savbo and you will be an instant "hero"!  :)

savbo

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 14:55 »
OK

that's not the most heroic thing I've ever done, honest

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 15:03 »
May I be the first to congratulate you!  :lol:    (Oh, I am!)   ::)

savbo

« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2011, 15:59 »
what's the next milestone?

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2011, 16:22 »
You're a 5-star hero - what more could you possibly want from life?  ::)  :lol:

hamstergbert

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2011, 16:41 »
When you reach the edge where you are going to fold under, cut with the relevant overhang then give the top of the felt on that overhang bit a really good going at with a wallpaper steamer.  Sounds daft but it softens the felting and helps fold it round with less risk of cracking - and when it cools it holds that close hugging shape.

Have done it, well, tried to, with a hot air paint stripper once before settling on the steam stripper - once was enough as  just too hot to control safely.
The Dales - probably fingerprint marks where God's hand touched the world

compostqueen

« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 00:26 »
I've done mine over the past two days using best quality felt available from Wickes. I didn't get any black residue on my hands at all  :)  I used felt nails - a short one for the top of the roof and the longer ones for securing the overhangs.  I secured the side overhangs with timber which I screwed on

I'm praying that I've done it properly and it won't leak as I've been suffering with it leaking like a colander for about 3 years. My husband put the felt on originally and did a poor job  :nowink:

savbo

« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 10:19 »
thanks for all the advice...did it yesterday morning in the glorious sunshine...with the better felt and nails (it's not easy hammering upwards at and angle is it?), the shed already had the eaves timbers CQ recommended. VERY satisfying, even if it's a bit lumpy but I'm blaming the sagging shed roof for that. Used staple gun to tack the felt up under the edges for ultimate tidiness!

...And reglazed the 2 broken panes with some twinwall I had spare...and cleared out the spuds back up to house...

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 23:35 »
Ah that sounds perfect.  You have the ultimate luxury now. No more leaky shed.  What more could anyone want  :D  I'm easily pleased me   :)  I was praying for rain today so I could sit there in my shed waiting for no rain down my neck  :D

The ultimate tidiness doesn't last long though does it.  Mine's now full of spuds :D

Growster...

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2011, 05:49 »
Good news about your roof Savbo.

We eventually covered ours with some spare profiled metal which appeared from someone's building site!

As for your old leaks, I sympathise, because the floor of our shed, after several years of gaping holes in the roof, (neglected patch, nobody caring for it), has pieces of blockboard, all fanned out and literally going pear shaped!

Good fire coming up methinks...

xx
Best way to roof a shed

Started by JayG on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post May 27, 2010, 21:21
by portcullis
xx
Grow veg on shed roof

Started by Novice1970 on Design and Construction

2 Replies
Last post November 05, 2008, 10:41
by Novice1970
xx
shed roof, best size ply?

Started by 1jim on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post May 24, 2010, 15:15
by noshed
xx
New shed - roof 'windows'?

Started by plot53b on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post January 31, 2012, 21:38
by plot53b

Page created in 0.114 seconds with 37 queries.