oil

• 12 Replies

flowergirl

oil
« on: September 26, 2007, 16:47 »
can anyone recomend a recipe for chili oil and garlic oil?can i just buy some olive oil and add some chilis etc and leave to infuse or does it need a different bottle?also what type of oil and can i add any herbs or stuff to make it look nice for pressies?ive searched the forum but cant find anything.cheers

WG.

oil
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 16:50 »
See http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?p=36497#36497

You need to be aware of danger of botulism when placing uncooked produce in olive oil.

Trillium

oil
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 19:24 »
flowergirl, don't know if you noticed that WG's garlic in oil is actually smoked (cooked) garlic in oil, and wouldn't be a problem with botulism. But raw garlic will become almost deadly in a few days at room temp. If you store it in the fridge for up to 3 months, it should be okay, but never ever leave it out of the fridge for any time. We don't kid on this.

muntjac

oil
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 21:19 »
nuke the chilli's for 1 min on full power and then peel and drop em in deseed first  :wink:
still alive /............

flowergirl

oil
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2007, 10:26 »
cheers guys so the rule is cook stuff first i would have just chucked stuff in raw and killed all my friends and family :shock: not a good move!

Biscombe

• Experienced Member
oil
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2007, 11:13 »
A safe way is to cook the chopped chilis in vinager drain add oil then shake to release the bubbles, looks great too!
Happy Gardening

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
oil
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2007, 12:09 »
and don't use extra virgin oil.. just plain old olive oil.. no idea why but something I was told :)

I made chilli oil last year.. raw chilli, 2 weeks later mouldy chilli.. great :)

Biscombe

• Experienced Member
oil
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2007, 12:52 »
Quote from: "Biscombe"
A safe way is to cook the chopped chilis in vinager drain add oil then shake to release the bubbles, looks great too!

no mould this way

WG.

oil
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2007, 13:13 »
Quote from: "Sadgit"
and don't use extra virgin oil.. just plain old olive oil.. no idea why but something I was told
It is cheaper, quite simply.  I'd happily use pomace Olive Oil for something like smoked garlic since its flavour would dominate the oil anyhow.

Contadino

• Experienced Member
oil
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2007, 11:36 »
The difference between Extra Vergine Olive Oil and straight olive oil is the acidity.  Any olive oil greater than 0.8% acidity is not Extra Vergine.  I'm not sure what the maximum acidity for Vergine Oil is.

Even straight old Olive Oil can taste gre....er....not bad, but it won't be smooth like Extra Vergine.  This will obviously be reflected in any derived products.  I witnessed a pair of English numbskulls at the mill last year putting lemons in the press with their olives.  They were actually surprised when the acidity came out too high for it to be Extra Vergine.  :roll:

This classification applies to the whole of the civilised world (i.e. excluding 'Merca, where they have their own standards.)

muntjac

oil
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2007, 12:03 »
use to like drinking a drop oil when i was cooking .but i had some and it was like drinking acid ... burned the throat ..  :shock:

WG.

oil
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2007, 12:09 »
Ironically, the increased acidity might help ...
Quote from: "http://www.foodscience.csiro.au/oilvine.htm"
Foods with a pH below 4.6 do not in general support the growth of food poisoning bacteria including C. botulinum.

Page created in 0.126 seconds with 37 queries.