What's the best rhubarb varieties?

• 2 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
What's the best rhubarb varieties?
« on: September 16, 2011, 17:57 »
I've got a rhubarb plant in its first year. The stems were kind of thin and weak looking this year, so I didn't pull any. I've got lots of space in the same bed and I'd like to stick some more plants in there, so I can get a bigger crop once they're all going. It's a fairly big bed but I can't really plant anything else in it because it's next to the rabbit warren. Sadly, I can't remember what variety this one is, but I'd quite like to try a couple of different varieties for the new plants. This one seems to have quite green stems and I'd prefer red stems if poss. When I look at the seller websites there seem to be a lot more varieties available now than there used to be, so can anybody recommend which are good ones to try? How about Stockbridge Arrow or Champagne?

And incidentally, just about every day when the sun is shining (admittedly not many days this year) the plant droops to the extent that it looks half dead. It always seems to pick up by the next morning, but do they always do this? It's the first time I've managed to keep one alive for more than a year :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: What's the best rhubarb varieties?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 19:17 »
It's probably been tunnelled under by the wabbits, so it's very dry at the roots.
Another plant will probably suffer the same way..unless you can control the wabbits

shokkyy

• Mishka
Re: What's the best rhubarb varieties?
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 21:37 »
I think the roots should be safe. It's a completely self-contained bed that sits off to the side of the boundary tree line. The rabbit warren is on the other side of the tree line, no holes at all this side of the trees. But they do pop out for a snack when they think the dogs aren't looking, so I can't plant anything there that they like eating. The tree roots might be robbing it of some moisture, but that's true of a lot of my garden cos there's big old oaks, ashes and willows on all boundaries and a few in the middle. The rhubarb I had before that died was in a different part of the garden, and the reason it died was because I kept forgetting it was there and didn't weed around it when it was small, so it was completely swamped by stinging nettles and couch grass. And I did that twice :)

xx
Rhubarb varieties

Started by radiohead on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 16, 2011, 22:48
by kermit
xx
Rhubarb varieties

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 11, 2009, 20:25
by mumofstig
xx
rhubarb varieties

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 30, 2019, 08:01
by DHM
xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen

Page created in 0.7 seconds with 30 queries.