The Official Countdown has started..

• 23 Replies

NormandyMary

The Official Countdown has started..
« on: September 15, 2011, 19:32 »
..till I get my new girls. We worked very hard today (as you know, OH has health issues so we can only work as and when)on the new run, all the posts are in and it will be finished by Sunday. We also unwrapped our new henhouse to see what it was like and we are chuffed to bits with it. They are expensive over here, but this seems to be very well made. So hopefully, if all goes to plan, I could getting some birds at the market next Wednesday. As Im going for specific types, I may have to wait a while to get the ones I want, but as long as I can get a couple of Light Sussex and a couple of reds to start, Ill be more than happy, then I can add a couple of Bluebelles and then chose 2 more when I see ones I like. Im partial to Wyandottes, so maybe Ill chose them. Ill be like a child in a sweetie shop!
Be happy for me...Ive waited a long time for this moment!!

JaK

• Happy half plot.
Re: The Official Countdown has started..
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 20:15 »
 :D So exciting! Can't wait to see some pics when you get your newbies. Not long now.  :)

Foghorn-Leghorn

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 21:09 »
The waiting is part of the excitement (or it is for me anyway)!  I can't say it's the best bit but it is pretty good all the same  :wub:

Happy hen shopping  :)
"The chicken came first—God would look silly sitting on an egg."

— Author Unknown

NormandyMary

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 21:57 »
I agree FL, its like the build up to Christmas, the anticipation and excitement, however at Christmas, the actual day is usually a huge let down, unlike, hopefully, getting my new girls, and more importantly, our own eggs again. I did warn OH though, that we may have to wait till spring for full production, but Ill be happy just to have the odd one!

Its like the time I was waiting to get out baby boys (Billy and Toby our pygmy goats). I thought that day would never come, its only a few months, but it seems like we have had them for years. We love them so much its untrue, and I know they will love having hens around. They will see their run clearly from their own enclosure, so it will keep them amused. They loved our other hens, the girls used to poke their beaks through the boys fence to say hello!

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 01:51 »
Well done NM and your OH I hope you will be very happy with your new hens they sound like a good assortment you are going for there. 

Personally I could always find room in any flock for a Light or Buff Sussex or two they are, in my book, the perfect backyard hens.  Easy going, hardy and productive.

Best wishes
HF
Truth through science.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 06:42 »
Great news Mary  :D  We will need pics asap  ;)  :)

evie2

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 16:05 »
That's wonderful Mary, can't wait to see the pictures :D
May this day be blessed with gifts, understanding and friends.  Merlin 2001-2012 Pandora 2001-2013 xxx

NormandyMary

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 20:28 »
Thanks for your good wishes folks. Today, we were cementing in the posts of the run and this afternoon, OH started to put the new henhouse together (flatpacked!). He's done about 2/3rds of it, but he was so tired poor thing, I told him to stop. Its looking good, although I dont think it will hold as many birds as it advertises. It says 8-12, 12 I assumed, if they were bantams, but I think there is only enough perch room for 6 large girls. I will see how 6 manage before I get anymore, but we do have the other little house which could take 4, it just needs a perch putting in. It was our maternity unit for broodies, so no perch was needed. The new house looks easy to clean as all the flooring is in small segments which slide out. Brilliant. OH says I can have a word with our usual breeder next week to see what she's got. Whoopeeee!

daisy1990

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 07:54 »
good news, hope they bring you many hours of pleasure
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

NormandyMary

« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2011, 18:21 »
Well, you'll all be pleased to know that the henhouses are ready for occupation. We installed a perch in the little house this afternoon, and gave it some wood treatment and its come up a treat. The new house went together very well, its going to be very easy to clean as all the flooring pops out easily. So tomorrow we will be doing the fencing, which shouldnt take long, Monday Ill be shopping for chooks! Ill either be going to our normal supplier, or depending on what they have and havent got, we have the option of going to a local market to get some. We've also bought from there and we had no problems. Then its photos all round, of the chooks and my little boys (goats) for you all to admire!!

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2011, 09:33 »
Enjoy your chook shopping Mary  :)  and we will keep you that promise of piccies  ;)  :D

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2011, 09:53 »
shopping for chucks is great, so many colours and sizes to choose from and then of course there is the egg colours to take into consideration, decisions, decisions  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

NormandyMary

« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2011, 17:14 »
Quite so Joy, though over here the breeders tend to just concentrate on the bog standard birds. Ive tried the small ads for smaller private breeders, but they all seem to sell bantams, and as much as I find bantams cute, its LARGE eggs I want! I phoned our usual provider this afternoon to see what they have "ready to lay", they have reds, blacks and sussex. Unfortunately they dont have any Bluebelles, but I will leave them my email address and ask them to email me when they do have some. So, Monday afternoon, we will be taking possession of 2 black chooks (black rocks I think) 3 red hens and 3 light sussex. That will leave me with enough room for a cockerel, hopefully a sussex, and 2 Bluebelles if and when I can get them.
I said to my OH that Im getting just as excited as when we got chooks for the first time, he too is so excited, that's why he's been working so hard on the run etc for me bless him!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2011, 17:52 »
cant wait to see the photos  :D

NormandyMary

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 16:28 »
I am now the proud owner of 8 beautiful hens and a gorgeous cockerel. I couldnt believe my luck when we got there this afternoon, and found out that they had exactly what I wanted, even 2 bluebelles! We desperately wanted a Light Sussex cockerel, and they had one of those as well. So now I have 2 light sussex, 2 black hens, 2 red hens and the 2 light grey. They have all settled in well, they have been exploring the new house and their run and have found their food and drink. Im not looking forward to bedtime as there are always one or two who dont cotton on easily!
Toby and Billy have introduced themselves too, they are very happy with their new companions.
Photos of all to follow!

xx
Countdown to chooks!

Started by Flowerpower136 on Chicken Chat

5 Replies
Last post May 02, 2016, 20:26
by nerdle
xx
It never ends once you have started!

Started by min200 on Chicken Chat

8 Replies
Last post January 10, 2011, 20:19
by min200
xx
They have started hatching!

Started by min200 on Chicken Chat

20 Replies
Last post February 05, 2011, 10:22
by trinamc
xx
The Integration has started

Started by jinty1911 on Chicken Chat

0 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 20:56
by jinty1911

Page created in 0.104 seconds with 38 queries.