Wood chippings with leaves

• 11 Replies

WendysLot

• Healing Beads
Wood chippings with leaves
« on: September 14, 2011, 12:28 »
Hi there

I was recently given some wood chippings which I intend to use for paths (to go on top of a layer of breathable black plastic sheeting).

The chippings have quite a bit of greenery in there, I guess this will eventually rot down but I am hoping it will not go too mushy.

Bark chippings are quite expensive to buy so I am hoping these wood chippings will make a good substitute.

Will it be alright to use them as a mulch?

Thanks,

Wendy

bigben

Re: Wood chippings with leaves
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 12:37 »
It should be - we recently had a tree removed and the company had a massive chipper and left us with what seems to be a massive pile of wood chip. I used it to cover the area alongside my drive by putting it down over weed fabric. They guy told me to use at least 6 inches deep as it quickly settles and he was correct. It is now only about 2 inches deep so you might need more than you think!

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 12:44 »
This is what we use all the time.
Try to get just wood chips on our site but there are always some leafs mixed in.

Not sure about putting anything under the chippings.
I never have because as the chippings rot down weeds will spring up anyway and if you ever change your mind about the position of the path the plastic sheeting is very difficult to get up.

I wouldn't use them as a mulch because they will rob the soil of nitrogen as they rot down.  

bigben

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 14:34 »
Sorry - just looked at your post again - Yes it would be ok to use as a path cover but I would be less sure about using it to cover other stuff - as TerryB says - it will tend to rob the ground of nitrogen as it rots down.

WendysLot

• Healing Beads
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 18:53 »
Ok, thank you both, thats really helpful  :)
Wendy

Ivor Backache

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 19:05 »
I wouldn't use them as a mulch because they will rob the soil of nitrogen as they rot down.  

Sawdust and wood chippings on top of the soil are OK to mulch. When you mix it in the soil then you can have nitrogen loss, but only for a short time because the bacteria which use the nitrogen themselves decompose to re-release the nitrogen.

If you do see pale leaves a quick feed of lawn fertiliser will sort it out.

2 years ago I used over 60 binbags of sawdust and dug it in over Autumn/wimter and had no problems  the following spring.

If you are in any doubt, mix it in the compost heap with green material.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 19:10 »
Wendy we have this kind of bark/leafy stuff from the council and it does the job of path coverage over membrane a treat.

All my paths are like this and it lasts a good couple of seasons before needing a top up on well trod areas  :D :D

Smells good and gets interesting fungi from time to time as well  :nowink:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Totty

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 22:44 »
Have been using this for a couple of years. I dont bother with membrane. A thick layer will halt most weeds and any that do push through are easily pulled. It looks better than bark chips and saw dust. And it is possible to get it for nothing if you know the right places to look. I am always chucking bits on top as well, shredded clippings from a big box hedge get thrown on and i think the leafy look is lovely.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 07:01 »
Have been using this for a couple of years. I dont bother with membrane. A thick layer will halt most weeds and any that do push through are easily pulled. It looks better than bark chips and saw dust. And it is possible to get it for nothing if you know the right places to look. I am always chucking bits on top as well, shredded clippings from a big box hedge get thrown on and i think the leafy look is lovely.

I find that bindweed and thistles even manage to find their way through 'seams' of overlap in the membrane and come uo through several inches of bark chips  :ohmy: :ohmy:

Elaine G

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 23:22 »
And couch can travel 10 feet under membrane and chippings till it finds a chink of light  :tongue2:

Elaine
The foolish man seeks happiness in the distance, the wise grows it under his feet - James Oppenheim

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 07:32 »
Oh yes  :tongue2: :tongue2: :tongue2:

Totty

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2011, 19:52 »
The ground in our garden was tottally covered in all sorts of weeds and grasses when we moved here. I gave one treatment of the dreaded Round up, and when i was satisfied it was all on the way out, it was all dug over, beds put in place and paths covered in 2-3 inches of the shredded hedge trimmings. Thankfully there was no bindweed or couch present and as of yet we have had minimal problems with weeds of any type.

xx
What to do with wood chippings

Started by Patch on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 30, 2011, 10:09
by DATA311
xx
Wood chippings

Started by pete f on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 08, 2022, 10:38
by Subversive_plot
xx
wood chippings

Started by Teabag on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 16, 2009, 20:58
by RichardC
xx
wood chippings

Started by moneyspider on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 27, 2009, 09:26
by celjaci

Page created in 0.533 seconds with 36 queries.