Poorly girl, any ideas?

• 8 Replies

otis pony

• Experienced Member
Poorly girl, any ideas?
« on: September 13, 2011, 13:03 »
My head girl hasn't been herself for a couple of days.  Yesterday she spent quite a long time in the nest box, initially I thought she was hiding from the wind.  Today shes out but very quiet, just drinking and eating tiny bits.  The other girls are bothering her a  bit so I've put her in the pen on her own, they usually have limited free range. 

Her crop seems full but squashy, she hasn't laid for a couple of days, but she's nearly two (ex batt offspring).  She's fed on organic layers, with kitchen greens most afternoons, has access to oyster and grit.  She has been missing feathers around her back end for a few weeks............what can i do to help her?
...............happiness is wanting what you have, not having what you want.................

Sooz

Re: Poorly girl, any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 16:35 »
Sounds like sour crop to me.
If you pick her up, turn her upside down and gently depress her croptowards her beak, all manner of gunk will come out.  Give her time to beathe between each press, otherwise she'll suffocate.
One of mine had this.  I had to do this procedure again in the morning, but then she recovered.  It is a blockage in the crop.  My girl had been eating long grass....
I'm not young enough to know everything!

rileyfin

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 17:45 »
If it is sour croup live yogurt is supposed to be good. Never had to use it but I have read numerous posts where people say it is very effective.

My girls love yogurt so she should eat it ok.

Hope she gets well soon :wub:

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 09:47 »
Hi, thanks for the advice.  She got up late this morning, but was waiting for me at the gate when i returned from the school run.  Her crop seems normal but I gave her a few pecks at the yoghurt anyway and she seemed to enjoy it.   She's still not right, but her comb is bright red again (very pale yesterday).  Think it could be egg related, she does lay some huge eggs sometimes compared to the others, and is the only one to have laid soft eggs in the past.  Fingers crossed, shes my ten year old daughters hen and we don;t want any upset :(

hillfooter

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 03:12 »
Yes could well be egg binding.  If she's passed the egg she should be OK now but if not a vsit to the vet might be in order in case an a/b injection is required.

HF
Truth through science.

chickee

• Just guarding . . .
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 21:01 »
We have been through exactly the same symptoms with both our ex-bats (several times over the past year) and sadly lost one a few weeks ago.    The other one  was looking exactly as you describe yours.  I feel it was crop/food related and have become much stricter about what I give them to eat.  They are now kept in their run in the morning with pellets/mash (to keep everyone happy) with a small helping of corn and oyster shell mixed in. 

They then come out into the garden in the afternoon after they have had their proper "chicken food" and are given treats such as a few porridge oats, or cooked rice or cooked vegetables - they love worms if I am gardening. They also eat grass.  Apart from that, they have NO bread or pasta or anything with flour in it

She recovered within 24 hours and for the last month has been as fit as the other two you POL hybrids.

I don't know if it is diet related, but all 3 hens  seem  to be doing very well.

I hope your girl is better now.
Chickee

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 13:44 »
She seems ok now, no eggs though, unless she laid a soft one outside and theyve eaten it.  I'm still worried about the lack of feathers around her rear end.  I had a thought last night-do hens have a menopause?!

hillfooter

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 21:45 »
She seems ok now, no eggs though, unless she laid a soft one outside and theyve eaten it.  I'm still worried about the lack of feathers around her rear end.  I had a thought last night-do hens have a menopause?!

Of course haven't you got them on counselling? :lol:
HF

otis pony

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 10:05 »

Of course haven't you got them on counselling? :lol:
HF

:lol: :lol: :lol:

xx
poorly girl

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 02, 2015, 22:01
by grinling
xx
Poorly old girl

Started by jhub on The Hen House

19 Replies
Last post August 01, 2013, 09:46
by ANHBUC
xx
poorly girl.

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post June 05, 2015, 18:23
by New shoot
xx
Poorly Girl...

Started by nerdle on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 18, 2015, 22:50
by danfinn1

Page created in 0.388 seconds with 27 queries.