flattened sweetcorn

• 13 Replies

Gareth J

flattened sweetcorn
« on: September 10, 2011, 08:48 »
I've just come back from the plot  :( I was hoping my sweetcorn would be ready to pick, but its been flattened by the rain and wind and is now lying in the mud. the cobs are not even ripe  :( :( :( :( anyone had better luck with their sweetcorn this year ?
I have never been lost...................
But I will admit to being confused for several weeks

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: flattened sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 09:09 »
It's not been a good year, and there's been a lot of discussion about it lately..here's an example

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=81465.msg911085#msg911085

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2011, 10:51 »
Last year wasn't great for sweetcorn, but even so mine were finished and in the compost bins by now.

This year I have only just started harvesting them, and the quality is not great.  :(

They haven't blown over so far though; the block of plants has canes round the outside with a single string around and diagonally through them at about 2-3' high, which is enough to help them support each other if they are reasonably close together (life's too short to stake each one individually!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

Spana

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2011, 11:08 »
A lot of mine are down but the roots are still in the ground.  Anything still standing will probably go down in the gales promised for tomorrow night :(

On the good side the cobs are well filled altho still very pale.  If we get a few weeks of warm autumn sunshine the may  ripen.   :unsure:

Wishful thinking maybe  :wub:

LorraineWB

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 13:01 »
For the second year running my sweetcorn has been a failure so I won't bother growing it again (well until I forget what a failure it was and try again in a few years time!).  The plants are no more than 2 feet tall and in some cases smaller. 

Debz

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 13:08 »
My sweetcorn has taken too long to get going but no wonder when it has been as cold a summer as this year.  I think mine are probably about 6 weeks behind where they should be and as a result, I pulled them all up yesterday because of the promised weather.  I nearly got some last year but I will try again.

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2011, 20:40 »
Debz, I am eating my sweetcorn in Glasgow. I have good sweetcorn every year.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 20:52 by Aunt Sally »

MoreWhisky

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2011, 22:30 »
I had my first 3 sweetcorn tonight mmmm,

On our site about 3 plots have sweetcorn, i   think a lot of love,effort and skill was needed for sweetcorn this yr and then the yields where still well down.

With these winds as soon as i finished work i went down and staked them, dont want to loose them now they just started to ripen.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 06:18 »
My second year growing sweetcorn,and wev'e just finished the last cobs so they are now out and on the compost heap!
Last year I learnt my lesson when they all got flattened in a gale,and so this year I staked every one as soon as they were big enough.
Once again this year pollination time coincided with a persistant strong wind....as a result some of the cobs were patchy.
I think sweetcorn is very hit and miss,but a block of a dozen or so plants doesnt take up much room,and boy does it taste good. Rushed back from the plot and cooked within minutes of being picked it is one of the joys of summer.
I'll be growing more next year. :lol:

Nobbie

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 15:02 »
I got a decent crop this year, but I think that was down to putting cloches over them until they outgrew them in July, otherwise they would have just sulked in the cold weather.

teasmade!

• 3rd Pumpkin Contest 2011
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 20:14 »
we did really well as its our first time so far 28 cobs majority good quality have full sun from sunrise to sunset.

we have had great luck but next door had complete opposite nothing at all and really short  :blink:

not sure what happened really  :wacko:
dig dig dig dig digging, rid me of those little weeds....

crh75

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2011, 15:52 »
My sweetcorn was terrible this year.  I think the problem was we had a very dry period in the spring which is when I planted out my sweetcorn in toilet roll tubes.  The dry weather meaning that they did not break through the cardboard and so got stunted.  In previous years the loo rolls have been so soggy when I plant them out they were falling apart anyway.  So lesson learned for me.

Gareth J

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 20:57 »
I am going back tomorrow to see if any progress has been made. a fellow allotmenteerer suggested they were ok as the roots were still covered. heres to hope of a sweet cob for tea

richy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2011, 11:00 »
Ive had a few nice cobs, but today i went up the plot to do some digging and the badgers has been in and trashed the lot :(.

xx
Flattened!

Started by Casey76 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 02, 2012, 14:28
by Trillium
xx
Clearing flattened grass?

Started by bashful_badger on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post September 02, 2009, 19:32
by Poolfield2
xx
Sweetcorn help!

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 18, 2010, 17:42
by Kristen
xx
sweetcorn

Started by andy dewar on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post May 05, 2014, 23:52
by andy dewar

Page created in 0.852 seconds with 38 queries.