Favourite leftovers recipe - what's yours?

• 21 Replies

Debz

Re: Favourite leftovers recipe - what's yours?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 09:31 »
Seldom any leftovers in my house either.  My husband has a big appetite.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 09:41 »
If it seems an unusual mix of ingredients then they get hidden in a curry, with hardboiled eggs on top.

Something more obvious, like tomatoes and courgettes, make a pasta sauce ;)

But small leftovers from dinner, are often lunch the next day with some crusty bread TBH

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 10:51 »
There don't tend to be leftovers here either as there are only the two of us, portion control is easy....just give OH more if in doubt......

Frittata is favourite for all those bits of veg in the bottom drawer, or pasta. The dogs get any scraps which are  not wanted....like the dodgy end of cheese...was that blue cheese or is it mouldy? If I don't know, it goes in the compost bin or the dogs.

Swing Swang

« Reply #18 on: September 06, 2011, 22:16 »
Gotta be 'bubble and squeak' made from spuds and sprouts, all fried up in leftover bacon drippings (render down the skin from a boiled ham) with a soft-fried egg on the top.

SS

Janeymiddlewife

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 11:02 »
Gotta be 'bubble and squeak' made from spuds and sprouts, all fried up in leftover bacon drippings (render down the skin from a boiled ham) with a soft-fried egg on the top.

SS

Ditto Swing Swang, although sometimes I chuck it in the oven and then break an egg into each corner of the tin to bake (minus the sprouts  :tongue2:  :tongue2:  :tongue2: )

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2011, 13:34 »
One of my favourites is ham & bean hotpot, which I make after we've had a sugar-baked ham/gammon joint at the weekend (I make sure I get a big enough piece so there's enough left over for this dish!).  I finely dice some red onion which I fry gently until softened with a clove or two of garlic; I then add diced carrot and celery, the diced leftover ham, a tin of red kidney beans (drained) and cover the lot with stock left over from par-boiling the ham for the roast.  Add a dollop of tomato puree, plenty of mixed herbs and black pepper, and cook on top of the stove until the veg are to your liking (don't add salt, as the stock will make it salty enough).  At this stage, if it needs thickening I mix a little cornflour with a glug or two of white wine and add to the hotpot, stirring until thickened.  It will then sit quite happily in a low oven until you're ready, and it's lovely served with rice or a baked potato, along with runner beans or salad from the garden.

cheshirecheese

• Experienced Member
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2011, 13:42 »
Another favourite is chicken and mushroom pie made with leftover chicken, sliced mushrooms and sweetcorn (or peas would do) mixed into a white sauce with a little grated nutmeg, and topped with mashed potato.  Oven bake until bubbling and the potato topping is starting to brown, and serve with sliced runner beans from the garden and home-made chutney.

xx
Your favourite soup recipe.

Started by Beetroot queen on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

23 Replies
Last post June 30, 2013, 09:34
by Asherweef
xx
My favourite pumpkin recipe!

Started by khelashi on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 21, 2012, 23:42
by khelashi
thumbup
My favourite tomato chutney recipe!

Started by khelashi on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

3 Replies
Last post August 20, 2012, 15:53
by sunshineband
xx
What's you favourite pork mince recipe?

Started by arugula on Cooking, Storing and Preserving

22 Replies
Last post September 03, 2010, 11:31
by arugula

Page created in 0.186 seconds with 31 queries.