Is Kurtail effective for killing Mare's tail?

• 4 Replies

Arthur Bitter

Is Kurtail effective for killing Mare's tail?
« on: September 01, 2011, 12:05 »
I have a border and a lawn that is infested with it - SBK has knocked it back on the lawn and certainly helped, but I'm wondering if very careful application on my flower bed of Kurtail will kill it there?  I've read that you can use a compost accelerator called Root Out but it's not legal as a weedkiller any longer.  Has anyone tried Kurtail and does it work? Many thanks.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Is Kurtail effective for killing Mare's tail?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 12:10 »
Welcome to the forums.

Kurtail is a product for professionals, not the amateur gardener. The discussion of this can be an emotive subject, may I suggest you do a forum search on it and read the previous threads.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Arthur Bitter

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 15:13 »
Thanks DD. New to the site and initially couldn't find anything about it - think I've mastered-ish searching.  Threads make interesting reading - think I'll stick with composting...!

composthappens

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2013, 13:41 »
progreen sell Kurtail, and you dont require a certificate for it, or need to register if it is a one off purchase.  where cats are concerned, i would spot spray the mares tail and then cover it with plastic to keep the cats off it becaues it could get on their paws and burn or poison them. Be very careful to cover the area and pin it down with pegs. you will never kill marestail but you can control it. The roots go down about 5ft and it has been around since before mankind.

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2013, 15:25 »
progreen sell Kurtail, and you dont require a certificate for it, or need to register if it is a one off purchase. 

The product label information link here:

http://www.progreen.co.uk/Weed-killers/Total-Weed-Killers/Kurtail-0-5LT/prod_2.html

states

FOR USE ONLY AS AN AGRICULTURAL/HORTICULTURAL AND FORESTRY HERBICIDE OR DESICCANT.

That would tell me this product is not for amateur or domestic use as, if you read the safety datasheet (MSDS) also linked, PPE, a risk assessment and method statement are advised before working with this product.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

xx
Composting Mare's Tail

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 07, 2010, 18:15
by Kristen
xx
mare's tail in strawberry bed

Started by lanky lurcher on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 28, 2009, 21:19
by lanky lurcher
xx
mare's tail - how to kill??

Started by Loopyjump on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 06, 2013, 21:42
by Lastcast
xx
Mare's tail ok on the compost heap?

Started by She'sinthegarden on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 15, 2008, 14:54
by Pompey Spud

Page created in 0.472 seconds with 37 queries.