Growing Goji and Honeyberry plants

• 3 Replies

carlrmj

• Joint Winner - Tallest Sunflower 2012
Growing Goji and Honeyberry plants
« on: August 31, 2011, 21:50 »
Hi

I bought a goji berry and 3 honeyberry plants in march.They are in 30 litre tubs,the
goji is about 3ftx3ft with about 15 branches on it , the honeyberry plants are 1ft high  with 6-9branches .The information with them was very basic saying fruit in 2nd year.Does anyone know how big they should grow,and what they taste like
They are against a south facing wall,and quite sheltered from the wind

Thanks

Carollan

• Experienced Member
Re: Growing Goji and Honeyberry plants
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 22:12 »
I grew several goji berry bushes from small cuttings.2 years later I had had about 5 berries .This year,I kept one bush well watered,fed ,facing south,and well pruned.It now has about a hundred flowers which I am hoping will set into berries! I haven`t a clue what they taste like ,it`s my daughter that likes them.She`ll report back on flavour.

Can`t help you with the honeyberry plant,that`s one for me to try another year I think !!

Ricey

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 22:15 »
I don't know about Honeyberry but Ive seen the plant and I may try one.

Goji plants won't give their best crop until fully established, that could be upto 5 years. They should however give a small crop from their 2nd year.

Ive never eaten the berry straight from the bush but I'm told they are slightly bitter (Could be wrong) but the best way to eat the berries is dried anyway. For some reason, they are far more nutritional when dried.
I put them on crereals and salads .... Delicious. But they are expensive and a plant or two will eventually be well worth it. I think you can yeild about 2lb of berries from an optimum size plant (Thats a lot of berries).

They can grow, if left unchecked, to a height of 8ft or more (Edit; I typrd 8m by mistake and have edited this sorry) but I'm not sure if that applies to pot grown. I am told that the optimum size of the plant should be between 3 to 4 foot in height and spread ..... You may not need to prune the plant much, because it's in a pot but pruning Goji is a painless operation anyway, guides can be found on-line.

I currently have a dozen Goji plant seedlings on the go and it very slow progress but I'm hoping to get a few plants to put out in the spring. I grew from seed just for the fun of it really, but I may buy a plant soon because I'm impatient to get at the fruit -)

Good luck.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2011, 21:49 by Ricey »

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 10:41 »
i, too, have some honeyberry (aka Haskap, aka Blue Honeysuckle, aka Siberian Honeysuckle right?) in newly this year. I was inspired by the book 'A taste of something different', which says that they can fruit from year two, so I guess it's no certain. My plants sound like they have fewer but bigger branches - say 6 per plant and at least 2 ft long, but a big leggy, i think.

I also read from the book that, because they are not self fertile, you need at least two _varieties_ to ensure best fruiting rates. I had though I only needed 2 plants, so now i'm a bit worried.

xx
Goji Berry Plants

Started by Hazel Anne on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 27, 2008, 21:32
by digital_biscuit
xx
Honeyberry

Started by pixie1nigel on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post December 06, 2011, 18:50
by sunshineband
xx
Honeyberry

Started by LottyLouis on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 27, 2015, 00:38
by Kajazy
xx
Honeyberry

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post January 18, 2012, 17:40
by shokkyy

Page created in 0.614 seconds with 28 queries.