chickens for food

• 3 Replies

wildy78

chickens for food
« on: August 31, 2011, 20:40 »
I have 2 barnvelder cockrels from a hatch earlier in the year (18weeks old 4th Sept).  I cant seem to give them away locally so think i may bring them on for eating.  Never something i have done or contamplated for and so dont want to get it wrong. 

Big question how do i prepare them feeding wise before dispatch i dont really want to buy special feed just to find i have a lot of it left to go to waste.

Can i just feed them layers or should i just stick to quality mixed corn for a better taste.  Do i stop giving life guard in the water?  When do i change the feeds and when do i stop feeding ready for dispatch and when is best to dispatch (age wise). 

Any other advise would be most appreciated
1 wife, 1 daughter, 2 dogs, 1 horse, 1 Copper black maran, 1 Cherry Maran, 1 Speckled, 1 Sussex, 1 welsummer, 1 dorking, 1 silver laced wyandotte
6 new arrivals - 3 welsummers 3 barnvelder.
5 more new arrivals (pullets) - white star, fenton blue, fenton rose, plymouth rock, silver sussex

uktitan

Re: chickens for food
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2011, 21:21 »
I raise my own meat birds, I raise Ross/Cobb though, So may be slightly different.

I start them off on 25% protein Crumb until they are 5 weeks old, then I change them over (over the course of a week) to growers If I'm Slow growing them, then I use a 15% protein Growers until 1 week before Cull, at which I feed corn for the final week, If I'm Bringing them on fast then I use a 25% protein Growers then changing over to corn for the final week. in Both Cases I stop feed for 24 hours before Culling.

If you haven't Culled or dressed a chicken Before, I would advise getting someone to Show you the correct way to do it, to minimize the Distress to the chicken. Culling should be Nice and Swift with as little stress as possible to the poor chucky.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 21:26 by uktitan »
I now have the chicken bug woot i love the Poland's

wildy78

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2011, 21:25 »
thanks titan, what do you feed them for the last week then?

As for the culling, i have a friendly local farmer that is going to help me out foc as i helped him pluck his Christmas turkeys last year!

uktitan

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2011, 21:27 »
that's good to hear, I edited my post, as i forgot to add that i feed Corn for the final Week =)

xx
chickens & Cat food

Started by redjane11 on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post May 03, 2011, 07:47
by Sassy
xx
Chickens off their food

Started by Hitman on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post November 18, 2015, 16:21
by New shoot
xx
What's the natural food for chickens?

Started by infowarrior on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 20, 2012, 21:08
by grinling
xx
Pheasants are eating me chickens food!

Started by RobH on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post March 21, 2010, 19:23
by thebumbles

Page created in 0.511 seconds with 36 queries.