red ants

• 3 Replies

mushroom

red ants
« on: September 24, 2007, 09:01 »
Should I be concerned? They have appeared among my leeks. They are orange rather than red. The soil was turning to fired clay and dust. This morning, the rain is torrential - they would have had a soaking anyhow.

muntjac

red ants
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2007, 10:45 »
give em some more water n then folllow them where they go when thye off ur plot and in the hedgerows then let em alone ... :wink: disturbance of any kind they dont like , clever things is ants  :wink:
still alive /............

mushroom

red ants
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2007, 12:50 »
yeah, thought the rotovating sorted it. They may have come from next door, it's right next to the path. There wern't loads and loads, maybe 10-20 of em I saw. I know they cultivate aphids, but do they do anything directly to crops?

Trillium

red ants
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2007, 13:53 »
They don't feed on actual crops, but their nest might be so close to root systems that those particular plants would suffer setbacks. And once the nest builds up to full force you'd have biting problems. The reds and oranges are far more fierce than the blacks and in quantity it could get unpleasant (just ask Digger Dave  :lol: ) It's best to discourage them from your patch and onto an area you don't care about.

xx
Ants

Started by mrsbean on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2020, 08:08
by Subversive_plot
question
Help, ants!!!!

Started by Pretty Chick on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post May 19, 2010, 21:59
by Pretty Chick
xx
Ants

Started by Feeb on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 15:31
by beansticks
xx
Red ants

Started by Nessie_dog on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 12, 2013, 17:23
by Truffle

Page created in 0.539 seconds with 28 queries.