Anya potatoes

• 6 Replies

offshore1

Anya potatoes
« on: August 29, 2011, 13:06 »
Has anyone grown these?  I did for the first time last year and had a good crop  -  they are elongated and a bit like pink fir apple without all the knobs - excellent flavour, very firm and waxy when cooked.  Tried them again this year -   to all appearances the same except when cooked they  crumble to mash almost instantly.  Grown on the same allotment from seed I saved as I couldn't find them on sale this spring. Could the different weather this year bring about  about such a complete change in their characteristics.  Or could there be some other reason?

digger1

• Experienced Member
Re: Anya potatoes
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 13:31 »
Here in kent we had the same problem with chalotte pots It seems to have been the weather this year

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 13:32 »
My potatoes seem to be more floury than I expected, so perhaps a bit too dry for them :unsure:

DeadlyNightshade

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 23:47 »
Same here, all potatoes are rather tasteless and just mushy. And I mean ALL of them. Even my lovely treasured Linda.

I've lots of different stray ones everywhere in the garden and all are the same disappointment- apparently some are ok for chips and the purple ones are supposed to be floury (which I dont like)

operabunny

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 10:02 »
Most of mine have been more floury than expected, too. Just as well I like mash, potato cakes, bubble and squeak, potato farls and potato bread  :tongue2:  The 'summer' weather this year seems to call for those more than potato salad anyway.

gillian62

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 11:09 »
I have grown some new potatoes which have been great.  However the Blue Danube I got from T&M fall apart when cooked.  I have also tried in the pressure cooker and the result is a bit better but I am very disappointed as these are the main lot of my potatoes.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 11:21 »
You may find that they improve after a while in storage, the problem may be that we try to cook them soon after lifting. In this case superfresh may not be best  ::)

xx
Anya Potatoes

Started by gilesi on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 02, 2015, 18:19
by Aunt Sally
xx
Anya potatoes

Started by Little weed on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 19, 2009, 16:46
by strangerachael
xx
Anya seed potatoes

Started by Scribbler on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 17, 2022, 17:47
by Scribbler
xx
Anya and Rooster potatoes - any good?

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post November 21, 2015, 22:27
by AnnieB

Page created in 0.453 seconds with 29 queries.