Introducing new chooks

• 8 Replies

riverside_girl

Introducing new chooks
« on: August 28, 2011, 19:21 »
We had three chickens and poor little Beth, a Black Rock,  was at the bottom of the pecking order and looked to me to be very lonely

Then my  two lovely Amber Lee chickens mysteriously disappeared, leaving our lone bald Beth. We wanted to get some friends immediately but waited until Beth was stronger.  she is now fully feathered and happy but very used to human company i.e ,she thinks we are hens or vice versa.

Today we bought 3 new ones, a Sussex Star, a Leghorn and a Bluebell.  Beth, for the first time in her life is top hen but bedtime awaits.  Also she is upset she is in the run with the others and not free ranging which to her means coming down to the house and trying to get in.
I should add the run is around 40 sq mtrs with trees etc so they have plenty of space .

Please give me any tips, I suspect this may be a daily entry for a while. Thanks for any advice. :unsure:

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Introducing new chooks
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 19:34 »
Hi and welcome

This is a farily regular topic so a forum search will yield you lots of advice and stories from other members.

You have a lovely big run so lots of space for anyone to get away which is a great start.  Having 2 feeders and drinkers is a good idea as there is an alternative if someone is being pushed away.  Also some purple antiseptic spray is good to have handy and beak rings if feather pulling becomes an issue.

Be prepared for some shouting and pecking and try not to step in unless it gets really nasty.  They have to sort this out for themselves.

I think your main problem is that once you let them free-range again, Beth will teach the new girls her house breaking techniques  :D

riverside_girl

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 19:58 »
Thanks so much for your encouragement.
I was so worried about introducing new chooks but couldn;t bear to se her so lonely every day. Problem is she now looks more upset, will this go or will she always want to be in or near our house rather than roaming with the newbies.

Before our others were "lost" she wouldn't come near the house. :unsure:

riverside_girl

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 20:10 »
Help Beth won't let them in the hen house. what can I do, it's time for bed and they are all anxious?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 20:14 »
They will all be a bit upset for a day or two, but don't worry, they'll be fine   :)

Chickens love routine, for things to be familiar and to know their place in the flock.  All of this is up in the air at present but they will calm down and your little Beth will bond with the newbies, so be prepared to not be the top of her priority list after a week or so  ;)

I am sure that if you give out anxious vibes, your chickens pick up on this, so stay calm.  Whenever you approach them, make sure you speak to them.   This is especially true when shutting them in or letting them out of their coop as they can't see you and your voice is their 'It's OK mum's here' reassurance.  Make friends by offering small treats and above all, enjoy your new flock  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 20:16 »
Was just typing a reply to you when you posted again.

Take Beth out for 10 minutes - a cardboard box would be ideal if you have one.  Let the new girls get to bed then put Beth in the coop.  She's defending her patch  :)

riverside_girl

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 20:35 »
Thnak you New Shoots for your wise word. They are now all tucked up. Hope it all stays calm overnight

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 20:40 »
Thanks for coming back - I was wondering how you got on  :D 

They will be fine overnight but let them fairly sharply tomorrow morning.  Once they are awake, the potential for pecking is there. I know it seems very traumatic but once the dust settles Beth will be much happier :)

tanya10

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 11:36 »
Hi
We have 6 white bantam hens & are thinking of getting 4 gold line hens too , just wondering if they will get on okay , any advice greatly received thanks .

xx
Introducing new chooks!!!

Started by mummychick on The Hen House

10 Replies
Last post September 27, 2011, 18:56
by mummychick
xx
introducing new chooks

Started by allyboy on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post September 24, 2009, 21:12
by parsleypig
xx
Introducing new chooks

Started by mrs chook on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 20, 2016, 10:50
by danfinn1
xx
Chooks or 'Not fair' chooks ??

Started by Mega on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 04, 2010, 20:55
by Bantymad

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 30 queries.