sexing african geese

• 3 Replies

jobson336

• Experienced Member
sexing african geese
« on: August 22, 2011, 11:40 »
hi,
ive been lucky enough to be given 2 african geese, they are old enough that they have just lost the last of their fluff and stand at adult hight but need to fill out body wise.
i have no idea of their sex, one has a slight white rim around the top of its bill where it joins the head.
any ideas of to sex?
 8)

bantam novice

Re: sexing african geese
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 19:39 »
Can't help with advice, Jobson.  They sound lovely though and I'm sure someone will be along to help.  Good luck with them....and how about some pics  :)
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 20:28 »
    Vent Examination of Goslings and Young Geese

Hold the gosling under a strong light and turn the gosling upside down so that the vent (anal opening) is exposed.

Place the thumb and first finger over the vent and press down lightly. Part the fingers slowly so that the vent is fully extended.

Look for a small penis sticking out of the vent. The penis will be spiral shaped and white. If a penis can be seen the bird is male. If a penis cannot be seen, the bird may be female, or the bird may be too young for the penis to be seen. Female birds have a genital eminence, folds of tissue that meet in a straight line in the middle of the vent, but this can be very difficult to identify in young birds.
    Determining Gender of Adult African Geese

Examine the appearance and size of your geese. Adult African ganders weigh about 20 lb. A gander will be taller than a female goose, and will have a larger knob above his bill. An adult African goose weighs about 18 lb. An older female may also have noticeable paunch or pot-bellied appearance.

Listen to your geese. According to information published by Cornerstone Farm, an adult African gander has a high, long double syllable honk, "resembling a tug boat." The female goose has a deeper, short single or double syllable honk.

Watch the behavior of your geese when something threatening approaches the flock. Male geese will generally stand their ground, puff up and hiss at potential enemies. Females will ignore the threat, or back away while honking. Keep in mind that females will also hiss when they are alone or when goslings are threatened. You should also watch for mating behaviors. Male geese will chase female geese and mount on top of female geese when mating.

Read more: How to Tell a Male African Goose From a Female | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_6344572_tell-male-african-goose-female.html#ixzz1Vmtblghm
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

jobson336

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 22:09 »
thanks, i will keep a close eye on them, one has slightly larger head than the other, i think they are a male and a female, i assume related as both same age.
they certainly are bonny though.
 8)

xx
Sexing Geese

Started by Surferchick on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post December 07, 2012, 21:36
by Surferchick
xx
geese

Started by R66VEY on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post February 27, 2008, 10:15
by mothergoose
xx
Geese

Started by boosmummy on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post September 12, 2011, 13:20
by pekinpete
xx
geese

Started by 02rlgudgin on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post February 01, 2007, 20:20
by muntjac

Page created in 0.226 seconds with 29 queries.