Compost gone wrong??!!

• 4 Replies

ulsterfairy

• Experienced Member
Compost gone wrong??!!
« on: August 13, 2011, 22:13 »
Hello all

Its my first attempt at composting!! I only started about 4 weeks ago, and things seemed to be going well with plenty of heat radiating of the heap. However now Im not quite sure!! I have a mixture of peelings etc from fruit and veg, some grass cuttings, garden waste from eaten brassicas (egg free and catepillar free) as well torn up bits of cardboard.

There are loads of flies in the bin (possibly fruit flies????) What am I doing wrong or is this normal???

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Compost gone wrong??!!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2011, 22:31 »
Perfectly normal  :D
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2011, 22:33 »
All sounds perfectly normal to me!

Fruit flies are only one of many types of flies and other little beasties you are likely to find, although they are one of the most prolific breeders (from egg to adult in about a week, which is why they were very popular with the early genetics researchers!)

You will find that nearly all the bugs disappear when the compost is finally ready.  :)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

ulsterfairy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2011, 23:49 »
Thank you  :D

There will be some chicken manure added tomorrow as well courtesy of the inlaws bantams  8)

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2011, 00:22 »
To do the job by the book you should now turn the heap to mix it all up. Either take it out of the bin and then load it back in, or load it into another adjacent bin.

In practice I usually manage to do this a couple of times during the year. It means that anything like lawn mowings that is in a solid layer is mixed in. It also tells you if the heap is too wet(cover it), or too dry (take the cover off or add water), or needs the balance of brown to green material altering.

xx
Wrong compost... but can I mix it?

Started by MattieG on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 12, 2013, 13:06
by MattieG
xx
Compost gone wrong

Started by bluelou on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 12, 2010, 16:48
by woodburner
xx
sweetcorn in compost pots, all gone wrong

Started by tomato-joy on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 23, 2007, 22:22
by Annie
xx
Wrong Compost causing plants trouble?

Started by ldavison10 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 12, 2008, 16:43
by senrab_nhoj

Page created in 0.664 seconds with 37 queries.