Eglu omlet VS wooden coop

• 218 Replies

Bodger

« Reply #45 on: September 27, 2007, 20:16 »
IMO if you treat your chickens regularly then the redmite will snuff it when they move onto the chickens.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #46 on: September 27, 2007, 22:57 »
Never had to treat my chickens Bodger  :!:

Us Eglu owner love them so much we are always happy to show them off to people.  Here is a list of owners will to have visits, do contact Barbara if you want to see one in action :

http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1163

The cakes we make are lovely  :wink:

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2007, 07:21 »
Quote from: "stickywicket"
I had a look at the omlet website last night and whilst I did not think I would consider having one, the eglu does look very practical. Funnily enough I discovered today that my hairdresser's mum had one which she  sold to a friend of mine a couple of weeks ago as she is upgarding to the cube, so I am going to go round and see my frinds eglu soon. So far she is very happy. Can't believe how many chicken keepers there are out there :shock:

Its a crowing market  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2007, 07:57 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"

no sign of them in mine either and it is a wooden coop... whats the bets when I give it a full clean tomorrow I find loads now :)

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2007, 10:48 »
Quote from: "Sadgit"
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"

no sign of them in mine either and it is a wooden coop... whats the bets when I give it a full clean tomorrow I find loads now :)

:shock: Perhaps Aunty should keep quiet too  :lol:

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2007, 19:17 »
so for those of us who have just a few chickens and are thinking it might be time to buy something to guard against getting redmite what do you all recommend I buy please?
ok so I know its a daft question but Im cute ......

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2007, 19:21 »
There are two good organic remidies

Diatom (diatomacious Earth) and Barrier Red Mite powder which is herbal, dusted around their accomodation in all the nooks anc crannies:  See our sticky:  http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/viewtopic.php?t=5250

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2007, 21:10 »
I use " Gold Label Get Rid Organic Powder " it's made from algae, worked a treat last year, also I put a bit of crawling insect powder that contains pyrethrin under where the perch meets its supports.
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

mobyjones

« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2007, 16:34 »
The Eglu is a very well designed product. It's also very well made. The "Pro's" people have listed above should give people an idea as to what they are getting for their money.

The only real downside to the small model is that you are likely to expand your flock at some point. The small eglu is not suitable for 3 birds. Or two large hens really. And so buying one may very well be short sighted. Of course, only you can make the decision. Is it likely that you may want more birds in the future whilst considering the little "Eglu" right now? Have a long hard think before buying the thing.

As for red mite problems, good poultry management is far more relevant than the actual housing itself. All poultry keepers should look out for red mite and similar at regular intervals. Of course, if your plastic or wooden coop is kept clean and tidy, you may never see the mites in the first place!

Regards
MJ

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2007, 20:33 »
The Eglu can house up to 4 medium sized hens providing a larger run is used for daytime or freerange is given.  I have friends who house up to 8 banties in one.  The Eglu cube can house 10 medium birds but I feel the inbuilt run is too small for 10 so free range or larger run would also be needed for them.

I only have two hens in my eglu but only because I don't have space for a larger run for them during the day time when they can't range around the garden when I'm not at home.  

One of my friends has a large home built run with two eglus in it.  She has 8 medium birds and some nights nearly all the silly birds all crowd into one eglu (by choice) :roll:

Bodger

« Reply #55 on: September 30, 2007, 22:33 »
Do you have to declare whether or not you have shares in the EGLU company ?  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #56 on: September 30, 2007, 22:39 »
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I wish I did, they're a good investment.

I'm just someone who always wanted chickens.  My Dad kept some when I was a child an I've wanted some forever !  My little garden is just not big enough for a wooden coop and run.  I've had an eglu now for 2 years and my hens are happy and healthy "pets".  Once anyone has had an eglu they are hooked !!!!  

Brilliant home for the back garden chooks, and my dream has come true    :D

mobyjones

« Reply #57 on: September 30, 2007, 22:42 »
Hello again

I'm not anti Eglu (Please see previous comments). But I believe that they are not cost effective or flexible for most poultry keepers. Especially keepers who as I have alrready said may wish to expand their flock or even try to breed from their chickens.

Their runs are also somewhat limiting as you have said. Therefore I believe people considering an eglu need to have a long hard think about not only their immediate requirements but their housing requirements in the future.

If cost is an issue, then perhaps potential keepers should go for a cheaper wooden coop and spend some of their cash on books or even one of these training days offered by some companies. Education can make you a better poultry keeper.

Regards
MJ

Bodger

« Reply #58 on: September 30, 2007, 22:43 »
To be honest, if I simply wanted 3 or 4 chickens to produce eggs for the house with a minimum of maintainance and I could justify the cost of one , then it would be an attractive proposition. :D

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2007, 22:47 »
I have said this so many times I've lost count.

Eglus are for PET chickens not flocks of birds just kept for eggs or meat.

They are for keeping in your garden where you wouldn't want something made from pallets !! and where space is possibly at a premium.

If you want to see TWO happy content chickens who lay LOADS of eggs you can come and see mine (Cake always on offer :D)

xx
Changing from wooden coop to eglu cube

Started by eveshamchelle on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post October 12, 2010, 18:17
by orchardlady
xx
Tips for red mite prevention - moving from Eglu to Wooden coop!

Started by Sootem on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post July 24, 2009, 21:17
by joyfull
xx
omlet eglu's

Started by boosmummy on The Hen House

24 Replies
Last post July 03, 2011, 15:34
by cejx
xx
omlet eglu's

Started by mikebucks on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post May 05, 2008, 07:12
by smiler43

Page created in 0.263 seconds with 37 queries.