How to integrate chicks?

• 5 Replies

Carshay

How to integrate chicks?
« on: August 05, 2011, 15:28 »
I have three six week old cream legbar chicks - 1 boy and 2 girls. I am a bit worried about how to integrate them in with my other three hybrids. Their foster mum is still quite happy in the broody run which is inside the main run so in full sight of the hybrids, but I am hoping to get them all out and about together in a couple of weeks. As the male chick is very adventurous he escaped between my legs and went off to feed with the hybrids and got a good pecking for his insolence. He ran off yelling and the two girls hid in the far corner of the broody run swooning like Victorian ladies! Is it best to get them all together early in the morning or leave it till nearly bedtime? I've a couple of weeks to gather any welcome advice, thanks.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: How to integrate chicks?
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2011, 17:05 »
my broodies bring their little ones out after they have had their chick crumb for breakfast, mum usually defends the little one. I let mine out when they are just a day or two old.
They will get put in their place but are generally not injured - it is just a warning.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Carshay

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2011, 18:55 »
Should I just go for it and see what happens then?

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2011, 18:59 »
if they are still with their broody then yes - but stay on hand to keep things in check. Don't stop the occasional normal pecking order squabbles afterall these new ones have to be taught their place in their society - just step in if things get too rough.

Tykelad

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2011, 09:05 »
Hi,
    Am reading this thread with interest. I had 3 broodys with approx 10 eggs each but for reasons unknown they all came off at about 2 weeks and when i checked the eggs, 90% were viable. After this upset, i bit the bullet and spent £300 on an incubator so my question is how do i integrate the chicks with the rest of the girls if they don't have a "mum" to protect them ?

Thanks in advance.

Neil & Emm.

Carshay

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2011, 21:40 »
Thanks Joyful everything went fairly well - no carnage but quite a lot of bullying by the hen at the bottom of the pecking order. However all are tucked up in bed now and hopefully all will be well! Thanks again

xx
rescued hen how to integrate with our chicks

Started by daisy1990 on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post April 07, 2011, 20:07
by daisy1990
xx
Integrate a Cockerel or Not?

Started by Harmonic on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post April 09, 2012, 17:10
by kopperdrake
xx
What age can chicks be mixed with other chicks with no bother?

Started by gracie on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 26, 2011, 07:53
by gracie
xx
Help needed with new chicks and about to hatch chicks

Started by jim_148 on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post April 24, 2012, 18:08
by jim_148

Page created in 0.442 seconds with 37 queries.