how often will they lay?

• 18 Replies

Shazzer

• Experienced Member
how often will they lay?
« on: September 19, 2007, 16:58 »
How long does it take a hen to get into the swing of laying.  My Maran has been laying every other day, I always know when she due because she gets very vocal and stummbles about a bit and then I find it on the floor in the run.  2 of my others have been laying eggs that are always broken, and always found togeher and broken. this happens every 4 or 5 days with no eggs in between, whats going on with them 2 then?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
how often will they lay?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 17:25 »
Put some golf balls in the nest to show the hens where to put their eggs.
  Are the egg shells thin or normal ?

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
how often will they lay?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 18:33 »
The decreasing daylight length will have an effect on them shazzer less eggs in winter, also what are you feeding them on, not being too generous with the treats and grain ?
He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

Shazzer

• Experienced Member
how often will they lay?
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 20:08 »
Aunt Sally, I'll try the golf balls (will it really work) and yes the shells are thin. Rich, I feed them on layers pellets and some raw veg scraps.  What happens if too mcuh treats(not that i think they do get) but for future reference.  I put in oyster shell grit stuff as well but they don't seem to touch it, the run is bare earth now so prpbably getting grit from that any wasy.

richyrich7

• Paper Potter
    • My home business Egg box labels and more
how often will they lay?
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 20:32 »
Quote from: "Shazzer"
Aunt Sally, I'll try the golf balls (will it really work) and yes the shells are thin. Rich, I feed them on layers pellets and some raw veg scraps.  What happens if too mcuh treats(not that i think they do get) but for future reference.  I put in oyster shell grit stuff as well but they don't seem to touch it, the run is bare earth now so probably getting grit from that any wasy.

If you feed 'em too many treats then they can get fat which can cause problems for them laying etc. but raw veg scraps are not treats so don't worry about them.

You could try sprinkling a little ground oyster shell in their food to fool them into eating a little more. You will be amazed how quick they will strip out any usable grit on bare earth so it's good to supply extra, I've sometimes thrown a bit on the floor of the run they pick it up as they need it.

BTW just in case you don't know oyster shell is different to grit but both need to be supplied. Some times they also benefit from a drop of cod liver oil say once a week to help boost their vitamin D levels as this aids calcium absorption try giving a drop on a small piece of bread they soon scoff it.

And yes Aunty's golf balls work  :wink:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
how often will they lay?
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 20:37 »
Quote from: "Shazzer"
Aunt Sally, I'll try the golf balls (will it really work) and yes the shells are thin. Rich, I feed them on layers pellets and some raw veg scraps.  What happens if too mcuh treats(not that i think they do get) but for future reference.  I put in oyster shell grit stuff as well but they don't seem to touch it, the run is bare earth now so prpbably getting grit from that any wasy.

The golf balls will work  :D

If the shells are thin the hens are not adsorbing enough calcium.  Try sprinkling some oyster shell in their run and add a little cod liver oil to their pellets to boost their Vit D

muntjac

how often will they lay?
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 21:36 »
wack the oestra through a blender and then mix with food in a mash .add water to layers pellets .just to cover and leave overnite once a fortnight :wink:
still alive /............

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
how often will they lay?
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 22:08 »
I used to do that for Gerty  :!:

Shazzer

• Experienced Member
how often will they lay?
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 22:19 »
will that help with the soft shell?

muntjac

how often will they lay?
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 22:33 »
yes as they are eating the calcium with thier food and it will be layed down on the egg and strenghten the bones ...

chicksforkicks

• Experienced Member
how often will they lay?
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 23:04 »
golf balls worked for me, thanks to aunt sally. put 3 in the nest. our wyandotte has layed 10 eggs the past 11 days from one wyandotte. 2 of them cracked.
-If life gives you lemons find someone who got vodka and have a party
-If it doesn't fit;force it. If it breaks; you needed a new one anyway
-Borrow money from pessimist; they don't expect it back

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
how often will they lay?
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 15:20 »
You can take the golf balls out once they have got used to laying in the nest  :D

chicksforkicks

• Experienced Member
how often will they lay?
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 22:10 »
why do you say to take them out? i leave them in there, and there fine with them.just wondering.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
how often will they lay?
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 22:17 »
They are so heavy and hard they can cause egg breakage.

chicksforkicks

• Experienced Member
how often will they lay?
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2007, 22:58 »
:? may be why weve gotten 2 broken eggs. But, our Wyadotte layed the hugest egg today. 2.5 inches. 2.5 ounces. sorry dont know what measurement you use in the UK

Page created in 0.372 seconds with 36 queries.