Oh Begger, White Rot!!

• 27 Replies

AndyRVTR

Oh Begger, White Rot!!
« on: July 29, 2011, 20:55 »
I dont know how, but it's managed to hit over a third of my onions & garlic and i'm totally sick  :( :(
I grew the same varieties, Turbo, Sturron & Stuttgarter last year with no problems, I used different raised beds this year and I even bought the sets from Wilko's as I did last year, so i'm unsure where to point the finger (so to speak).
The rest of my garlic (20 plants) has gone the same way, so I have lost those too....  :(
A month or so ago, they started showing signs of 'rust', so I harvested them all earlier than I should have, split them and froze the cloves, so no loss on the majority of them.
Some of my leeks were also showing signs of rust as well, so I have pulled the ones that were in the next bed to the onions just in case, they were a a fair size anyway, 2-3" across, they have also been sliced, diced and frozen tonight.
I know how serious white rot can be and how easily it can be spread... better safe than sorry I suppose.
I have heard that using Jayes fluid as a soil sterilant may help, but didnt want to try it, just in case I am wasting my time... any one any suggestions??

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
Re: Oh Begger, White Rot!!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 20:57 »
how odd - was a bit on just that problem on gardeners world just now. ie) leave that ground for at least 5 years and plant anything other than alliums in there in the meantime

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 20:58 »
Jeyes fluid is not allowed as a soil sterilant so cannot be suggested or condoned by the forum.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Help-advice/Garden-chemicals-and-pesticides/Chemicals

In any event, there is no guarantee it would work but it will kill off all the beneficial bugs and will persist in the soil.

Edit - just saw Ian's post.  I think they are somewhat optimistic in their 5 year period.  I had read it can last in the soil for up to about 20 years!
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

AndyRVTR

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 21:00 »
I thought that was the case, I just couldnt remember.... thanks Yorkie  :)

Ian_A

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 21:02 »
Jeyes fluid is not allowed as a soil sterilant so cannot be suggested or condoned by the forum.

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Gardening/Help-advice/Garden-chemicals-and-pesticides/Chemicals

In any event, there is no guarantee it would work but it will kill off all the beneficial bugs and will persist in the soil.

Edit - just saw Ian's post.  I think they are somewhat optimistic in their 5 year period.  I had read it can last in the soil for up to about 20 years!

I don't know - the last few times my relatives (5 lots have had plots for decades - and boy do I feel pressure to live up to their successes!!) had white rot they left it for about 5-6 years or so, planted onions back over there and they were fine in the subsequent planting.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 21:19 »
That's great news - 20 years does seem an awfully long time!

NB Word of caution - if you don't have it all over your allotment, you might be lucky if it doesn't spread in the water table.  But you must be rigorous about trying not to transfer the pathogen from the rot area to clean areas through soil on boots or implements.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 21:20 by Yorkie »

realfood

• Experienced Member
    • Grow Your Own Info
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 19:08 »
You may remember that I have been trialling  a new organic method for clearing ground of white rot, using a solution of garlic applied to the ground the previous year.
I have now been harvesting some of my onions and shallots and not one has any sign of white rot!! I am astonished that it has been so successful as I would expect about 1/3 of the crop to be affected.
There is still time for you to treat the ground where you are going to plant your alliums next year.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2011, 19:38 by Aunt Sally »

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 19:16 »
That's very interesting realfood. Thanks for the information. :)
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 19:25 »
I keep meaning to try this out.  I have a big tub or horse feed garlic powder to try it with.

The theory behind it sounds quite convincing.

1.   White rot is caused by a fungus and the spores of the fungus lay dormant in the soil until they detect alliums growing nearby.

2.   The spores germinate and grow towards the alliums and infect them.

3.   The garlic powder or crushes cloves in water (which is said to be the most effective) fools the spores into germination but when they do there is no allium around in which to complete its life cycle and produce more spores - so it just dies unfulfilled :(

SUTTY1

• Pumpkin Champion 2010 / Super Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 19:51 »
The theory does make sense and have been thinking of trying it.

When would you do it?
Does the fungus need other specific conditions, such as blight does, humidity, min. temps etc.?
Does it really matter since garlic powder is cheap and easily avaliable. Must be worth a try!

I think tooo....... much sometimes :wacko: :wacko: :wacko:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 20:16 »
You do it the summer before you want to plant the alliums.

The fungus preferes damp conditions I believe so don't water too much

AndyRVTR

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 20:20 »
NB Word of caution - if you don't have it all over your allotment, you might be lucky if it doesn't spread in the water table.  But you must be rigorous about trying not to transfer the pathogen from the rot area to clean areas through soil on boots or implements.
Thanks Yorkie.... I had onions in three of the raised beds and there has been white rot on onions from all of the beds, bearing in mind, I had no single case of it last year, could this point to contamination from the sets that I bought from Wilko's???
On the subject of transfering the pathogen, I dont walk on the raised beds, so boots should be ok, but I did use the same fork..., as for next year, I will be growing them in large pots and I will also try on a different bed further up the plot...

AndyRVTR

« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2011, 20:21 »
You do it the summer before you want to plant the alliums.

The fungus preferes damp conditions I believe so don't water too much
So would now be the right time to try this then Aunty??

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2011, 20:28 »
Yes I think so.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2011, 20:33 »
http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/r584100511.html

The optimum conditions for germination of sclerotia occur when soil temperatures are between 59° to 64°F; this is also the best time to apply the garlic extract.

clip
White Rot !

Started by brittanyjohn on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post August 25, 2021, 08:19
by Blewit
xx
White Fly

Started by cooperman on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post October 13, 2009, 22:52
by cooperman
xx
White Rot , again.

Started by MoreWhisky on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post October 21, 2010, 13:42
by mumofstig
xx
bl***y white fly

Started by tracy-fuerteventura on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post December 07, 2008, 18:19
by Celery

Page created in 0.763 seconds with 29 queries.