Can cockerels be carriers of "vent gleet?"

• 3 Replies

Helenaj

Can cockerels be carriers of "vent gleet?"
« on: July 29, 2011, 08:10 »
Three of my hens have developed vent gleet over the last few days and I am treating them with Canestan cream which appears to be working. The only common factor between all three of them is a young Ixworth cockerel that I have who has finally started treading the ladies, and these three in particular. I have isolated him for the moment and the three girls are in my "hospital" shed. My question is - can a cockerel be a carrier of the vent gleet infection? He appears symptom free in that his poos are normal and there is no white discharge. However, I'm not sure of what to look for with a male bird and if there are any different symptoms. If it's not him, any other ideas as to what it could be. I've not introduced any new hens and the only major treatment they've had recently is being wormed and Frontlined (start of July), plus I've also sanitised their ground with Stalosan F (last weekend) and treated their housing for red mite (last weekend).

Any advice greatly appreciated.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Can cockerels be carriers of "vent gleet?"
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 08:47 »
yes they can be carriers so he will need to be treated (orally with something like nystatin) and until he is clear he will need to be kept away from your girls. You vet may have to take swabs and get them tested.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Helenaj

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 13:21 »
Thanks Joyfull, I've segregated him just in case. Are there any obvious signs I can look for to check that he has it? I have two cockerels, but my oldest is nearly three now so I doubt that he's the culprit otherwise the others would have it.

Do you know the incubation period before symptoms emerge in hens? If others develop it after he's been segregated I'll know pretty quickly whether it's him or not and if it isn't him I'll have to check for another root cause.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 15:31 »
sorry no - the best way is to get swabs taken by your vet - might be best now to wait until Monday in case they have to send them away. Treatment is easy though  :)

xx
"Claggy" vent

Started by Kerry on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 30, 2007, 09:45
by Kerry
xx
vent gleet . treat or cull ?

Started by Alby on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post April 19, 2010, 19:33
by mad chicken
xx
Making home-made "peck-blocks"

Started by Helenaj on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 08, 2011, 23:26
by hardygeranium
xx
Chicken ailment - leghorns appear "drunk" and cannot stand

Started by Envirogal on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post September 17, 2011, 15:58
by compostqueen

Page created in 0.28 seconds with 31 queries.