Beetroot

• 18 Replies

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
Beetroot
« on: July 28, 2011, 17:21 »
I have had to dig up my beetroot - need the space for something else, they are the size of footballs anyway and although not woody yet they may become woody so thought I would get them up.  Problem is, I'm not sure what to do with them now, can I store them in the garage or is it still too early in the year and, if so, how do I do that - can I store in sand?  After all, there is only so much pickled beetroot a body can eat!

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
Re: Beetroot
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 19:35 »
I am trying an experiment this year by cooking them and storing them in syrup as you would with plumbs. My dh does not like the taste of vinegar.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 21:04 »
If you tear off the leaves, you can keep them in layers in a box of sand or dryish old compost for quite some time.

Mind you, they roast rather well, in the same tray as the potatoes. Just wash them, cut them into chunks about same size as the potatoes (don't par boil though) and they are lush  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

sandygreen

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 07:39 »
Mm syrup - let me know the results of your experiment - may try next year!!

Will also try storing some in sand and see what happens.  Thanks very much

azubah

• www.Godsaves.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 15:21 »
We did try storing them in bought compost, and they lasted well most years, but if it is a cold winter and they freeze they go starchy and do not taste very nice.

Trillium

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 17:04 »
I use the particularly large ones to make beet jelly (for toast). I trim, peel, and thickly slice the beets, boil in water until soft. Then scoop out the slices. It's the water I want.

I then use measured amounts of the skimmed water with pectin, sugar and raspberry jelly powder and make the jelly. I've tried other flavours but the family prefers raspberry. My boys adored beet jelly with peanut butter, and OH loves it with just toast. If anyone is interested, I can post the exact recipe.

mike600

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 18:36 »
Pls post recipe for beetroot jelly.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2011, 18:38 »
oooh yes!

Please do post the recipe Trillium  :D

sarajane

« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2011, 22:50 »
Please, please, please post the receipe.

I boil, roast, chutney and pickle it but never hear of this.

Trillium

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 23:09 »
For beet jelly you can either use water from boiling peeled beets, or you can simply use tough, overgrown beets for this.

There's no specific amount of water to beets, simply enough to cook the beets with extra water to spare.  Top, tail, and peel beets. Slice into chunks or slices (plastic gloves are great for this job). Place in pot with water (no salt) and boil until beets are cooked. Slot out beets (and send to compost) and skim off any scum.

I make this recipe in the quantity given below as I've not found doubling or tripling works for me, but it might for others.

Beet Jelly

3 cups cooked beet liquid
1 pkg pectin plus 1/4 to 1/2 extra package if using less sugar
1 pkg raspberry jelly powder

Stir all 3 in tall pot (this can foam a lot later) and bring to boil, boil hard for 1 minute.

Add 4** cups granulated (white) sugar, stir well, bring to hard boil.

Remove from heat. Let sit for about 2 minutes and the foam will be easier to remove.

Jar immediately, seal, and if preferred, (which I do) waterbath to seal for about 10 minutes.

For whatever reason, sometimes the jelly doesn't jell immediately, but will jell in a few weeks. Sometimes it won't jell at all. I suspect either the pectin or the sugar was the cause. So I simply empty all the non-jelled bottles into one pot, guesstimate how much extra pectin to add (sometimes a box or 2 for a dozen or more jars), bring to hard boil for one minute, jar and seal. This usually does the trick.

** I find the 4 cups sugar a bit too sweet so I use only 3 cups sugar with extra pectin.

This is very tasty on toast or with peanut butter sandwiches in place of honey.

I've just remembered that package sizes differ. In North America, our pectin comes in 57 gram sized packages. Flavoured jelly comes in 85 gram packages.

Please adjust your sugar and liquid accordingly in the UK.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 22:42 by Trillium »

sarajane

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 23:47 »
Cheers for that Trillium  -  got the grandkids all day tomorrow, Chester race family day sunday so will have a go after work on monday.  Can't wait for the results as got some gone to seed beetroot and is my favourite veg by faaaar  ;)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 11:16 »
Thanks for sharing that Trillium... it sounds lush  :D

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 08:13 »
I made roasted beetroot relish last year and was pleased with that.  Ths recipe makes 5 x 225g jars.

1kg beetroot
olive oil
250g granulated sugar
150ml red wine vinegar
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 large red onion, peeled and finely chopped
50g grated horseradish (optional - I used a bit of chopped chilli instead)

for the roasted tomato puree

1kg tomatoes - halved
2 tsp salt
2 garlic cloves - peeled and sliced
50ml olive oil

- roast the tomatoes skin side down with the salt, garlic and oil at 180 degrees C or gas mark 4 for an hour, then put through a sieve to yeild about 300ml puree
-bake the beets at the same temperature with little oil for 1 hour or more until the skins are blackened and loosened.  Leave to cool a bit, skin and grate
-put the sugar, vinegars, onion and horseradish/chilli in a large pan, bring to the boil and cook for 5 mins
-stir in the tomato puree and cook for another couple of mins
-add the grated beets and cook for about 10 mins till thickened then transfer to sterlised jars

Once you open this relish,keep it refridgerated, but unopened it lasts a year  :)

compostqueen

« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2011, 13:17 »
Apparently the sugar-free blackcurrant jelly (Hartleys) is very good for making beetroot jelly  :)

What about beetroot cake?

I made HFW's beetroot and chocolate brownies the other day and they are soooooo good

I love roasted beets either on their own or with other roasted veg. They can be roasted in the oven or on the barbecue on trays.  Once roasted they can be preserved in red wine vinegar in the normal way. Roasted beets with shallots (a la Delia) is also a very good recipe

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2011, 14:49 »
ive made this one  ;)
http://www.vegbox-recipes.co.uk/recipes/beetroot-recipe-12.php

I keep meaning to make it with cucumber and a lime jelly....cos that sounds good as well :)

Page created in 0.182 seconds with 30 queries.