how many fruits per pumpkin plant?

• 10 Replies

nilsatis1964

• Experienced Member
how many fruits per pumpkin plant?
« on: July 21, 2011, 12:47 »
I have 3 jack o laterns going potty on the plot.  I was wondering how many fruits should I try and restrict them to.  Currently one has 6 fruits I can see and the other 2 have 4 each.  The plants seem to grow a foot a day and always in the wrong direction so when do I attemp to stop them growing.
Time waits for no man and I can't wait for growth.

Nikkithefoot

Re: how many fruits per pumpkin plant?
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2011, 19:26 »
If you want larger squashes, then stop more fruits from developing, but if you want more but smaller ones let it grow. Generally anything that tries to set fruit from round about nowish (depending where in the country you are) might not make it to maturity due to frosts.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

nilsatis1964

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2011, 19:54 »
I am in Leeds so not that far north.  I think last year I let fruits set into August.  I will wait and see.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2011, 20:41 »
If you want larger squashes, then stop more fruits from developing, but if you want more but smaller ones let it grow. Generally anything that tries to set fruit from round about nowish (depending where in the country you are) might not make it to maturity due to frosts.

You're having a laugh  ::)........
sorry, but the squash & pumpkins are only just getting their 'boy' and 'girl' flowers at the same time about now, so I'd never get any fruit if that statement was correct. 

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2011, 21:10 »

You're having a laugh  ::)........
sorry, but the squash & pumpkins are only just getting their 'boy' and 'girl' flowers at the same time about now, so I'd never get any fruit if that statement was correct. 

Oh, I'm drowning in courgettes, my jumbo pink banana's (2 plants) are taking over the plot and my Baby bears and Atlantic giants (2 plants of each, with probably 6+ fruits on each) range from tennis ball size to the size of a football.

I have found in the past if they aren't set and growing well by now then I rarely get any ripe ones (other than courgettes of course)

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2011, 21:47 »
I also hope it's not true.

My pumpkins are only just setting now and I don't expect the butternuts to show until much later.

Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

radiohead

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 21:53 »
I also hope it's not true.

My pumpkins are only just setting now and I don't expect the butternuts to show until much later.

Same here.

stompy

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 08:47 »

Im glad to hear it.  :lol:

My butternuts are about 3ft long now but still no flowers, they seemed to sulk for ages before getting going

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2011, 09:26 »
They'll sit there for ages, then suddenly realise time's getting on and have panic towards autumn.

bigben

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2011, 11:55 »
Some of mine have nothing but flowers and others have tennis ball size fruit so I hope they are going to do ok.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2011, 11:58 »
They'll sit there for ages, then suddenly realise time's getting on and have panic towards autumn.

My Winter Festival plants are currently very calm, very relaxed, and very small!  :wacko:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Aubergine? How many fruits per plant?

Started by 666 on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 29, 2008, 21:01
by Oliveview
xx
Where to plant cocktail kiwi fruits

Started by SusieB on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 14, 2016, 12:38
by Middlesexbloke
xx
When should i plant out my pumpkin

Started by RebeccaM on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 10, 2009, 12:42
by DD.
xx
Pumpkin plant in the flower bed

Started by Oliveview on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post July 08, 2008, 20:09
by Oliveview

Page created in 1.12 seconds with 30 queries.