Advise needed on 9week old girls please

• 5 Replies

leddenton

Advise needed on 9week old girls please
« on: July 18, 2011, 15:51 »
I have just been given 3 home bred girls 9 week old.x2 Welsummers and 1 black rock. The person who they came from said he was feeding corn but should they not be on a proper feed? How much do they need?I had POL before so am not sure as know they are too young for layers. Should it be growers and if so do they need suppliments in their water? I used a saeweed one before to help my girls when they were laying. How often do I worm them and what do you advise. Last question they have not been vaccinated, does this mean they have to be thoroughly cooked,their eggs that is! Many thanks for any help, I am anxious not to get it wrong as they are bright active klittle things very healthy at mo

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
Re: Advise needed on 9week old girls please
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 15:55 »
they should be on growers yes and then on layers when they get to about 17 weeks. they don't need any additives (although if you want to give them some then that is your choice  :)).
Most back yard poultry aren't vaccinated but as with all eggs and products containg raw eggs these should not be given to the elderly or the young especially if they are ill.
Staffies are softer than you think.

leddenton

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 18:46 »
Thanks for advise.Have just bought some growers.Any advise on other questions much appreciated

Casey76

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 10:43 »
If you leave the feed out during daylight hours they will eat what they need :)  Personally i would say they do not need any suppliments in their water - clean, clear water is best.

Worm them with Flubenvet (flubendazole) for 7 days every three months starting when thery are about 26 weeks old.  There is no egg withdrawal for Flubenvet. :)

rachelr

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2011, 11:07 »
As to vaccination many people dont vaccinate as you really need to buy the vaccine in large quantities and the vets dont really want to. I have mine half and half because o where i got them

Remember not too many treats or they wont lay well.

Enjoy your new girls. I have 12 just at nine weeks and they are toerags lol

leddenton

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 13:04 »
Thanks for all advise. Said I woudn't treat these as pets as I did my other girls but that has only lasted 1 day! They are eating corn from my hand already.

xx
advise needed

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post September 16, 2013, 14:39
by ANHBUC
xx
advise needed on broody hen

Started by pinkladies on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post July 22, 2010, 09:26
by Ma Lowe
xx
Advise needed - My chicken tries to breed

Started by ozziemerlin on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post April 16, 2008, 22:36
by GrannieAnnie
xx
help advise needed re flubenvet/eggs

Started by Loulih on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post February 10, 2013, 18:14
by Loulih

Page created in 0.325 seconds with 29 queries.