Feeling like a bad hen mummy, please help me and my hens!

• 7 Replies

RosiesWalk

• One day I'll have a small holding......
I have just registered with this site as I need help and advice PLEASE!  We got our first ever hens back in march, 5 columbian black tails, and it has been going perfectly. 

We have always had room for a few more and yesterday evening at Stithians Show I bought 3 POL Light Sussex and 2 call ducks.  I introduced the hens and ducks into the same pen. 

After a few quibbles the older hens and ducks seem to have sorted themselves out very well, however, the Light Sussex seem really scared and although they are tucked up happily in bed for the 2nd night running, I am worried that they are not going to get enough food and drink if they keep hiding during the day.

Of course, now I have researched it more, I see that it may have been better to introduce them more gradually and have them sectioned off.  What I can do (and I did this this evening) is let my older hens have free range in the garden for an hour or two morning and evening and let the Light Sussex have the pen to themselves.  But what should I do?  Will they sort it out in time/kill each other/or should I separate them now?  I am worried that being stressed will make them more vulnerable to disease.

I know this is my fault for being ignorant and not being better prepared, but please help me, I want to learn!  :(

dawnie77

Re: Feeling like a bad hen mummy, please help me and my hens!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 23:27 »
im only a neewbie aswell, well they aint killed each other yet so i guess thats a good thing, maybe your light sussex needs a little longer to adjust to her new home, ive read sum people put 2 lots of food down so there aint no fighting over it.
hopefully sumone with alot more experience will reply soon xx

RosiesWalk

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 23:41 »
Yes, I have been putting food out in two places and scattering it as well.  Have also thrown in some extra nice stuff like corn and dried insects.  Thanks for replying, it's nice just not to feel alone!

Lbrook21

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 07:02 »
We put 3 new chickens in with the 5 we already had. Felt terrible to start with as they were fighting - looked on here and saw that you shouldn't interfere unless it gets too bad - put extra food and water in - within about 5-7 days they were ignoring each other but now after 3 weeks you wouldn't know that they hadn't been together for ever.  You just have to be strong but keep an eye on them.

Helenaj

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 08:00 »
Ideally, you should have segregated them from your main flock for at least two weeks prior to integration as they may be carrying some illness that could spread to your existing flock, which may not be apparent immediately. However, since they are now together, I would just keep an eye on everyone to make sure they are all healthy over the next couple of weeks.
As for the fighting, this is perfectly normal until they sort out their pecking order - it looks dreadful to us and it's tempting to stop it every time it starts, but that just prolongs the fighting. Just check your hens over often to make sure that no one has any flesh wounds and if they do, treat with gentian violet (purple spray) immediately. If you have one persistent bully segregate her from the flock as it drops her out of the pecking order and she will have to reestablish herself when she returns. Keep removing her until she quietens down - she'll soon realise that bad behaviour = segregation. Also, put as many feeders and watering stations out that you can to ensure everyone gets a fair chance of food and water and prepare a little "safe haven" for your lowest pecking order hen to hide - this is often just a large overturned plant pot where you can place a little food and water so she can eat in peace. Things should settle down in a couple of weeks.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 13:59 by Helenaj »

Flossiej

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 10:13 »
Hi I am fairly new to chicken keeping and I had the same problem about a month ago. Originally we bought 3 pol and then quickly decided that we wanted 2 more so ten days later went back and got them. I put them all together in the coop after dark and everything seemed well. However the new two were getting bullied by one of the others the next day so whilst I was at work my husband and youngest son moved the newbies out to a small old rabbit run that we had. He put plenty of food, water and grit in and moved it beside the main run. We kept them in that for a few hours and then put them back into e coop at night. The next day only the hen at the top of the pecking order was bullying so my son sat with his water pistol and squirted her every time she started on the newbies and hey presto it worked! Within an hour she knew not to try anything and left them alone. Might be worth a try. Also I have found that the older girls tend to get irritated with any hens not already in lay. As soon as the littlest one started laying they have completely excepted her in fact the bully now huddles up close to her on the perch on cold nights. the other thing we noticed was that bullying was worse when treats were around. Again
segregating the bully from treats seems to knock her down the pecking order, just my theory.
Persevere with it and in a couple of weeks all will be well, although I must admit it is very stressful watching them get bullied.
Good luck
One husband, three teenage sons, one completely blonde dog, two scatty cats, five nutty chooks and an uninvited mole!

SMS6

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 13:23 »
Rosie - do you live close to Stithians?  If so you must be near me

RosiesWalk

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 21:36 »
Thank you all so much for your messages, they have made me feel a lot better.  After about four hours sleep (the rest of the night spent worrying about said hens (do all hen owners become like this, or is it just me?)), this morning I contacted a friend who has a spare roll of fencing.

When we returned from work this evening there were feathers everywhere and the new hens were being kept hostage in the hen house.  We set to work dividing the pen into 2, which was pretty sizeable in the first place, and our new hens are now safely divided, which I hope will allow them the time to grow in size and confidence, while my older hens grow to accept them.  At least I will be able to sleep tonight!  And so long as I haven't just introduced some horrid disease, I am hopeful that we are on the right track.

Funnily enough, I had been far more worried about getting the ducks than getting new hens, but the ducks appear to be well sorted after only 48 hours.

I live on the North Coast, by the way, and was only visiting Stithians.  What I saw of the show (I only got there at the tail end, was brilliant!)  Thanks again everyone!

P.S. I'll let you know how things go.....
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 21:45 by RosiesWalk »

xx
my poor mummy chicken is getting attacked my my other hens

Started by nic n dave on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 24, 2011, 13:51
by Helenaj
xx
New chicken mummy to be

Started by Barn owl on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post June 04, 2013, 17:14
by Barn owl
xx
Expectant chicken mummy.

Started by pottyaboutgrowing on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post February 16, 2011, 08:37
by Sassy
xx
mummy and baby chicks

Started by phil.freda on The Hen House

0 Replies
Last post August 16, 2009, 21:54
by phil.freda

Page created in 0.275 seconds with 28 queries.