black and white speckled jobbie?!???*@!

• 13 Replies

wildeone

« on: September 14, 2007, 19:12 »
Finally got my hubby thinking that a few chooks would be great! And we were discussing what type of run, coop and breed! Said he likes the black and white speckled types............. :roll: Good job I love the daft ape :D  Does anyone have any idea what that would be and few pictures of different breeds would be great as i'd like 2 or 3 but maybe different breeds (will this pose any problems?)  I live in a built up area with a modest garden so was thinking of a  coop and run but will let them roam when we're in the garden to keep the cats at bay! All wisdom greatly appreciated .................

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 19:15 »

KathyH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 23:04 »
Could he be thinking of a Speckledy?
Here is a pic of our Doris -

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=145247&id=653268331

Speckledys are a cross between Rhode Island Reds and Marans and give brown eggs with darker speckles! Its a chicken that sort of "does what it says on the tin"!
She is a great chook - nice gentle and friendly when she gets used to you  :) She is three weeks into lay and we are getting a good sized egg per day from her now.
Kathy H

KathyH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 23:13 »
Did the picture thing ok this time (thanks Aunt Sally - looked up your previous advice!)
Here is Doris the Speckledy without having to click on the link!
D'oh!

:oops:

wildeone

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 07:36 »
Shes perfect!!!!! :D  :D  :D We're not looking at keeping chickens purely as egg givers but as pets with a bonus!!! We're both a bit soft when it comes to animals and we know we'll end up attached to them! :roll:  :oops:  :roll:

KathyH

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 07:42 »
We are softies too!
They are "productive pets" and will hopefully live to a ripe old age! If we get some dinners out of the eggs in the early years then all the better!
Lets face it - how many years have we all spent looking after dogs, cats, guinea pigs, rabbits, hamsters, tortoises (20 years so far on the Tort!) and never so much as a sandwich out of any of them!

Speckledys are good layer hybrids and you should find a supplier near you I would think  :D

wildeone

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2007, 07:55 »
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chicken-coop-Hen-house-Poultry-ark-house-Coup-RUN-Ps_W0QQitemZ220149175262QQihZ012QQcategoryZ46292QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is this run any good? Or do i need more room it says 8-10 chickens but that seems too tight a sqeeze?!?! Can anyone recommend a make or model?? Bearing in mind that me and hubby are both NOT diyers .....

chickychick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2007, 12:58 »
I am very happy with my pure white amberlink if you are looking for a recommendation for a pet and egg layer

http://www.chat.allotment-garden.org/album_pic.php?pic_id=712

we have had her two weeks she is so funny, friendly and curious and amberlinks have are supposed to be excellent for laying lots of nice brown eggs.  Also not expensive to purchase, she cost me the grand total of £4.25 and is laying an egg a day already!

we have two amberlinks and two bovan goldlines and the amberlinks do seem to be full of personality.  Its nice to have a mix as they will be more interesting to watch and you may be able to identify who laid which egg, as different chickens lay different looking eggs brown white bluish etc

I kept wondering why I was so keen to have chickens when I was setting our coop and run up but Im so glad I did they are really amusing.
ok so I know its a daft question but Im cute ......

muntjac

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2007, 13:16 »
Quote from: "wildeone"
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Chicken-coop-Hen-house-Poultry-ark-house-Coup-RUN-Ps_W0QQitemZ220149175262QQihZ012QQcategoryZ46292QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is this run any good? Or do i need more room it says 8-10 chickens but that seems too tight a sqeeze?!?! Can anyone recommend a make or model?? Bearing in mind that me and hubby are both NOT diyers .....

i wouldnt put more than 5 birds in that house wildone .but 5s enough for a start  :wink:
still alive /............

wildeone

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2007, 13:53 »
I was thinking of 3 at the most..... Neighbours might have a fit if a flock of chicks moves in!!!! :roll:  :wink:

SnooziSuzi

• Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2007, 22:27 »
Just to let you know I have bought from this seller, and whilst the coop and run I bought was smaller than I had envisioned (my fault not his) I couldn't fault them as sellers.

HTH,
Su

chicksforkicks

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2007, 23:08 »
we keep 7 chickens on the side of our house. not supposed to, but do. neighors complain, usually a few eggs will keep em quiet,
-If life gives you lemons find someone who got vodka and have a party
-If it doesn't fit;force it. If it breaks; you needed a new one anyway
-Borrow money from pessimist; they don't expect it back

wildeone

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2007, 07:11 »
Thats good to know! Thanks suzi!!!!!  Unfortunately purse strings are dictating when we can do it ................. I somehow thought that i'd be able to get a chicken coop and run for a LOT less than they seem to be going for.
 :?

jacnal

• http://jacnal.blogspot.com/
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2007, 11:03 »
Quote from: "wildeone"

Price is so much better than the eglu/o,let one I saw yesterday.

I'm looking to keep chooks too, but all in good time - in the meantime, I search for a coop and run we can afford...
Jac

Trying organic gardening. Hoping to stick to it.

xx
What are Black Rock and Speckled Star?

Started by gsc on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post May 26, 2010, 13:55
by gsc
xx
White/Black Silkies

Started by Prod on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 16, 2016, 20:04
by grinling
xx
Spanish white-faced black bantam hatching eggs

Started by rebdi80 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 24, 2013, 10:33
by ANHBUC
xx
My first Speckled hen

Started by danfinn1 on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post July 20, 2016, 11:06
by danfinn1

Page created in 0.23 seconds with 29 queries.