Anyone use an auto watering system?

• 10 Replies

JohnB47

Anyone use an auto watering system?
« on: July 05, 2011, 17:05 »
Hi.

Can't find my original post about this but I'm looking for a way to water plants at my home (mainly toms) while on hols.

I'll will be away for a week and I recently looked at a system that seemed good but then I noticed that each drip head delivered 2 litres per hour! That would be massive overkill. (even using only one drip head would deliver 9 times the total amount I'd normally spread over two growbags per day).

None of the sets I've looked at seem to suggest being able to regulate the flow (the one I saw at the garden centre had an auto flow regulator at the tap end, so no user adjustment there).

Has anyone used these things? Can you reduce the flow by adjusting it at the tap end, or is it going to be 2 litres per hour no matter what?

Thanks.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

unchained

Re: Anyone use an auto watering system?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 17:28 »
Gardena do a drip head that is adjustable from 0-20 litres an hour. Some of the none adjustable ones are available at 2 or 4 litres an hour.
I have both my green house and tunnel rigged for when I go away and I am using mainly the 2's but they are only on for 15 or 30 mins per day depending on the plant I am watering. The flow time is adjustable at the automatic timer.

Bob

JohnB47

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 17:43 »
Thanks folks.

DD - why can I not find that post whenever I search for 'JohnB47' - perhaps my eyes are failing but I can't see it listed.

unchained - cheers for that. Just found the adjustable ones on the Gardena site - might see if they're available (and affordable, together with the starter kit) at the garden centre.

The thing is, I can't seem to justify buying a set with a timer - the cost would be more than my buying tomatoes for quite a few years and I rarely need to auto water plants (daughter usually does the watering for me but she's coming on hols with me this time).

Thanks again.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 18:17 »
I just went to your profile, looked at recent posts & went back a few days as I remembered seeing the thread recently.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 18:19 »
You don't put "JohnB47" in the search text box, that single box is for text within the post e.g. watering system.

If you click the Search link underneath the main links near the top of the page, you'll see an Advanced search option - that allows you to search by username.

You could alternatively go to your profile and look near the bottom to see whether you have the option to look at your last posts - if so, scroll back through them until you find what you want.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Kleftiwallah

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 18:46 »

I've knocked up a D.I.Y. system,  worked a treat.  :D   Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

JohnB47

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 20:29 »
You don't put "JohnB47" in the search text box, that single box is for text within the post e.g. watering system.

If you click the Search link underneath the main links near the top of the page, you'll see an Advanced search option - that allows you to search by username.

You could alternatively go to your profile and look near the bottom to see whether you have the option to look at your last posts - if so, scroll back through them until you find what you want.

Thanks Yorkie (and DD). I've got the idea now, cheers.

goose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 22:47 »
I have a hozelock watering system at home to water all my pots on the patio and it runs under the lawn to my greenhouse and veg patch at the other side of the house.  i have it on for 25 minutes a day at the moment (i adjust it regularly depending on weather conditions).  i am not sure how many litres a min/hr it flows at, i suppose it depends on how many feeder tubes you have coming off the main hoze and how high the tap is set to (also, each nozzle has an adjustable flow to suit each plant/area).

When i set it up each season, i adjust the tap flow/nozzle flow and timing depending on how may 'off shoots' i have off the system and within a couple of days i have it sorted ;)

I couldnt live without my auto watering system as i spend more than half of my life away from home. 

Doddy

• Always learning
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 18:23 »
Tried several variants, now plumbed a Tropf Blumat system in - works brilliantly.

Mine's fed from a water tank ~5ft off the floor (with a pumped system to replenish as necessary), and then 8mm pipe down to the various plants in the greenhouse (another 8mm pipe takes a feed to the cold-frame where the melons are growing). Each 8mm hose has a number of 8-3-8mm tee's, which feed the 3mm feed pipe through the Tropf Blumat auto-dripper.

Note, these are adjustable devices that open/close a valve (pinching the 3mm feed pipe, to give an on/off control), based on how damp the soil surrounding the device is, so you can set how damp the soil should be and the device maintains that. As the plant grows/needs more water, it's own demands on water regulate the water flow from the device.  If you have similar plants (need similar water levels) then you can use one device and a number of drip points to feed multiple plants.

They work really, really well. I'm very pleased with the results (apart from they have allowed the melons to overgrow their frame!). Tomatoes never look peaky, but the grow bags are always "just lightly damp".

They're easy to google, but if you're interested I could post some piccies.

JohnB47

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 18:45 »
Thanks folks.

Doddy - that looks really good but really, I'm not going to spend the sort of money needed to buy one of the drip feed systems and the bottle feed used would not last long enough - I'll be away for a week.

I might look at one of the really cheapo systems you can get on ebay and maybe modify it so that it drips really slowly using water fed from my water butts. That way, if it all goes pear shaped while I'm on hol, it will only be rainwater that's lost.

Tata

xx
auto irrigation system

Started by drmoonshine on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 24, 2011, 21:28
by Doddy
xx
Auto vent window openers

Started by robbodaveuk on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 12:46
by Cheshire Phill
xx
Confused about watering or not watering

Started by Broadhaven on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 21, 2010, 18:33
by Nikkithefoot
xx
Auto Vent Openers For Greenhouses.....Could you tweek it?

Started by pookey on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 01, 2007, 09:17
by richyrich7

Page created in 0.561 seconds with 28 queries.