Ooops! Not my best decision!

• 8 Replies

Bev

• Experienced Member
Ooops! Not my best decision!
« on: July 03, 2011, 21:03 »
Hi, My neighbour asked if I could take one of her hens, 'naughty nelly' because she keeps flying over the fence and knicking the vegetables. My luxurious hen run has wire over the top so there is no escape.

I normally let my hens free range for some of the day.

We popped Nelly in to the hen house after they went to roost one evening and the next morning she came out and went straight into the bush. I put some extra water and food by the back of the bush and have seen her eating it at least twice a day.

The trouble is every time she emergies from the bush the other hens just send her straight back. They won't let her into the hen house either.

My heighbour will take her back if it doesn't work out.

Today is the second day and she has laid an egg in the hen house so must have snuck in at some point.

Nelly is a very crossed breed bantam and the original 3 hens are Rhode Island/Light Sussex. They are all about the same age 2 1/2 years ish.

Am I just being cruel trying to get them together or should I see what happens?

Thanks in advance,

Bev

daisy1990

Re: Ooops! Not my best decision!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 21:14 »
we had a similar situation when we took in my cleaners hen as her other hen was killed.  My three girls were horrible to her for weeks.  they never drew blood but chased her away and she looked very forlorn and lonely.  We persevered and they now all free range together.  We found that if we left her out when they went to bed then lifted her in later when they were sleepy they let her roost with them overnight.  I would be concerned about leaving a hen out overnight.  can you borrow your neighbours coop to put her in?

good Luck!
Daisy
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 21:17 »
I have actually borrowed a little nursery run from her as I have just taken on some little chicks but I don't think I want to put her through weeks of misery! It just doesn't seem right when all of her sisters are just the other side of the fence. I reckon when I let them out to free range she will just fly home!

Bev

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 21:53 »
I am not an expert but I have read that it may help if you have plenty of food and water stations so that the other hens don't stop her.   I also agree with Daisy's suggestion that you could put her in the coop when the other hens are sleepy so she gets to perch with them.  Good luck and keep us posted.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 21:55 »
Good news! I have just popped out to put them to bed and they are all 4 in the hen house! I was going to go and give her back if she was still in the bush but might just leave it another day and see what occurs. Maybe I am being seduced by the lovely blue egg she left earlier!

Bev

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 21:56 »
also let her out very early in the mornings and make sure there are plenty of hiding places.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 08:11 »
If they have not sorted themselves out, is there room to put the nursery run within your own run. If so this is a good way of getting your chooks used to her before letting them at her!! :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Bev

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 20:32 »
Day three today -

They still seem to be chasing her into the bush all the time but they are not managing to peck her as she can get further into the bush than them, being smaller.

She is getting plenty of food and water, I have put an extra water feeder in by the bush and extra food.

Also I let the three big hens out for a free range for about 3 hours this afternoon while I was around to keep an eye on them but did not see Nelly much. When I went to check on her she was in the hen house. She laid another egg today so can't be too stressed.

Bev

daisy1990

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 20:33 »
It sounds like it is worth persevering.  Ours took weeks to settle, but just been down the garden to see them and they are all feeding happily together!

xx
Help please! Poorly hen difficult decision to make

Started by westie on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post April 21, 2010, 23:00
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 28 queries.