Asistic lillies rotting

• 3 Replies

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
Asistic lillies rotting
« on: July 01, 2011, 11:07 »
Hi,

I have several pots with asiatic lillies on my patio. One of the pots has young plants in it e.g. only one bud per stalk... they seem to be rotting. The leaves on some of them are going brown and soft, and the buds are also becoming affected - a couple of the stalks are completely dead.

The rest of the pots with the more mature plants in them are fine (I hope!).

Any ideas? I thought it might be the weather as it has been very wet, but nothing else seems to have been adversely affected.
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

Hey Jude

• Experienced Member
Re: Asistic lillies rotting
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 21:57 »
Hi Diddy, I'm no lily expert but it could well be too wet and because they're younger plants they might be drowning, I throw quite a bit of grit in with my compost for bulbs. Or could there be a problem with the compost itself, is there anything wriggling around in there that shouldn't be?  :( Jude.

Trillium

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 22:43 »
Lilies definitely do not like too much water, and if the pot sat in some sort of saucer, it just made things worse. It's highly recommended at lily planting time that you set the bulb in a mound of soil so it's raised for better drainage. Sounds like your pot didn't quite match the needs. And once rotted, no hope. Lots of grit in the potting mix doesn't do that much if water accumulates or the pot gets too saturated.

Also, potted lilies need regular feeding since they'll quickly deplete pot nutrients. BFB and some fertilizer are good.

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 13:07 »
Thanks for the replies... I guess it looks like too much water then - I'll know better next time!

xx
lillies

Started by arland on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post July 02, 2008, 22:25
by Bernard
xx
Lillies

Started by Hey Jude on General Gardening

3 Replies
Last post May 09, 2010, 21:26
by Hey Jude
xx
Day Lillies - Help please

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post May 30, 2016, 10:31
by mrs bouquet
xx
Lillies.

Started by A Reyt Tayty on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post April 28, 2012, 19:09
by Mrs Bee

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 32 queries.