Is this suitable?

• 11 Replies

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
Is this suitable?
« on: June 28, 2011, 18:56 »
How much space do chickens need? Everywhere seems to have a different ideas and I don't know where to trust.

I have a 7'x5' aviary (previously housed rabbits) at the moment it's got a shelf and a raised hutch but this could be changed. Is that big enough?

I don't think our garden would be safe for much in the way of free ranging as there is a large pond and visiting cats, I'm also under the impression a standard 6' garden fence won't reliably contain chicken?

It's also sat on paving, which I'm guessing is no good for feet, will this be okay covered in something like bark chippings?

I just want an idea if this is completely unsuitable before reading up more on everything else :)

daisy1990

Re: Is this suitable?
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 19:07 »
A lot depends on how happy you would feel seeing hens in a small space.  I bought a coop and run said to be big enough for 6-8 hens but despite only having three they looked like caged birds to me.  The size of housing you describe is technically big enough for a couple of hens even if you cant let the hens free range, but will you be happy seeing them in a small space?  Could you add a run to the aviary?
If you decide to go ahead they will need a nesting box and you need to provide roosting bars in an area that you can enclose (hens suffer badly in draughts)  You can cover the floor with bark/ hemcore.
You will also need to think about preventing boredom if they cant be let out
Good luck with whatever you decide
3 dogs, 8 chickens, 4 rabbits 2 guinea pigs, 10 quail, 2 fish and a demanding daughter who has gone to uni and left me with 29 animals to care for!!=)

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 19:18 »
If it's not suitable then it's not suitable, I don't want to squeeze them into something too small :)

Yes, the size the sell accommodation for most animals seems to be several times smaller than you'd actually want to keep an animal in. I wouldn't listen to the pet shop/garden centre without checking. The pens they are selling are half the size of mine!

I did wonder about bantams, or is that a case of half the size but still need the same space?

gracie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2011, 07:30 »
Mine free range when I am home and have never attempted to fly anywhere, only onto picnic tables and chairs. Obviously some do, u could get a breed that isn't prone to flying

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2011, 08:22 »
The pond should not be a problem and nor should the cats. They generally don't bother with adult hens. I suppose there is always the exception. My hens live with semi-feral cats, as do my quails and the cats don't bother.

Some people do keep them on hardstanding with plenty of wood chips so that they can still scratch about.

Bantams would help on the space issue.

Most chooks will not bother with 6' fences but there is always one. You could clip one wing and that should stop most.

Have you thought about quail. Whilst they cannot be cuddled - wouldn't stand for it - it is always the quail that people ooh and aah over when they visit! Your aviary would be fine for them. :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2011, 15:16 »
The trouble is the cats aren't mine so I can't guarantee it's the same cats so they get used to them and I don't know their personalities.

The neighbours on one side have dogs so hopping the fence would be very risky for the chicken even if it's just occasional.

We do have a bit of lawn at the other end of the garden so could perhaps pop a temporary pen there for a bit of scratching about but it wouldn't be that big. Our gardens not giant and quite sloped so it's terraced into three (patio - with the aviary, pond, lawn).

I hadn't thought of quail! Can you point me at a site with some good info. Can you just use the eggs like you would chickens - but a lot more of them I guess?

Dominic

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2011, 15:55 »
I wouldnt say its ideal.
Its only 3.2sqms, mine have about 2.75sqms each.

I dont think your garden is likely to be a problem
My fences are under 6foot, and I've had no escapes yet.

We also have visiting cats, and three chiauhuahs, the chickens can stand up for themselves when they have to.

Building a big run is a lot easier than you would think.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

tam

• Experienced Member
    • The Rabbit House
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2011, 16:40 »
Dominic, which is that you have - normal chickens, bantams or quail?

It's not building it that's a problem, it's having space to put it :) We're in the middle of a 70's housing estate so the gardens are only the width of the house and not that long. Extending the current aviary would mean covering part of the house blocking off a window/door to the garden and on the other side of it the steps to the rest of the garden. We could maybe set up a second run on the grass at the end but there is no way to link the two as the pond is between and it's 5' difference in ground level.

Will they not sort of hop up the trees/shrubs and then over the fence? The slope means you can hop off one level and land half way up bush on the next.

Sassy

« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2011, 10:08 »
It is best to Google 'quail' and browse around. Traditionally quail were kept in the bottom of the aviary to mop up food dropped by other birds - do note though, they still need to be fed even if there are other birds in the aviary. They will each lay an egg a day. They are small eggs with the same nutrional value as hens eggs. The eggs are very small but are quite creamy and considered to be a delicacy. They so not need as much room as chooks but I give mine more than twice that recommended. :)

adi

« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 08:40 »
hi sassy

adi

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 08:43 »
hi sassy sorry hit the wrong key. anyway do you keep your chickens and quail together? i imagined chickens would pick on the quail being so small?

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 19:15 »
Personally I wouldn't keep them together but there maybe someone on here who does :)

Their feed requirements are different and Katie Thears book says quail are not winter hardy, however, there is conflicting advice about this on the internet. I don't know about how they would get on together but as I said personally I wouldn't keep them together. :)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 19:19 by Sassy »

xx
Help with suitable breeds please

Started by uba on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post April 04, 2012, 08:05
by joyfull
xx
suitable varnish?

Started by owli on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 18:04
by gcb
xx
Is this suitable for Chickens

Started by seeker on The Hen House

23 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 10:15
by Foxy
xx
Suitable Ground?

Started by Devonian on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post October 05, 2009, 14:53
by Sassy

Page created in 0.286 seconds with 28 queries.