Is this suitable for Chickens

• 23 Replies

seeker

Is this suitable for Chickens
« on: May 06, 2009, 19:34 »
ive been looking for chicken houses and they all seem to be very expensive this is a rabbit hutch would it be suitable for a couple of chickens to sleep in i would increase the run

LINK
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 19:52 by Vember »

Kate and her Ducks

Re: Is this suitable for Chickens
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2009, 20:02 »
It looks very little to me but hard to tell as I can't see a scale.

Specifically made ones do seem really expensive and a lot of us make our own by adapting things like a shed or garden storage chest in my case. You get a lot more for your money and your girls get the room they deserve. The runs are always really inadequate on these things so good that you are already planning on extending.

DEFRA recommends a minimum of 1m2 per bird but most of us think that is far too little and recommend a minimum of 2. 1 foot 2 is recommended for coop space.
Be like a duck. Calm on the surface but always paddling like the dickens underneath.

nicchick

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 20:02 »
This seems to be far too tiny in my opinion. We are using a bigger one than that for our baby ducklings and that's only until they are 3 weeks old. You would be better off building a foxproof run you can get into to clean (and play with your hens) then putting a separate house raised up so they can get under it. Nic.

seeker

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 20:16 »
Thanks for the reply

what about this  LINK

« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 21:19 by Vember »

Ice

• muck spreader
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 20:26 »
Instead of posting lots of ebay links for people to comment on I would suggest you have a good look through the search facility.  There is a wealth of information on there covering exactly this subject.

I'm not a chickeny person but there will be someone to point you in the right direction soon if you can't find what you need.
Cheese makes everything better.

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 23:15 »
In chicken chat someone has started a thread with pics of hen runs and houses, might be worth a look. Think there is a building your own thread about too. Might be in the Poultry info bit.

seeker

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 23:37 »
Ive been reserching for 2 days now my heads starting to hurt :(

do hens need company i only wanted one but if they do i will get two, i think this hutch is enough, what else do i need to do to it for it to be ready

so far ive gathered that the mesh needs to be covered is this both sides i think i should raise it above ground a bit , iam going to allow the birds to rome around the garden

also how big a pest are cats as theres one really scary one that always comes into my garden

Kate and her Ducks

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2009, 23:47 »
Might be time for bed if the heads starting to hurt and approach it fresh in the morning!

There is loads of useful info in bite sized portions making in much less daunting here:

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=13.0

Just pick your topics like starting with chickens or DIY coops and take it from there.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2009, 23:51 »
chickens are flock birds, so really you should get at least 3, then if one dies, as it could because they occasionaly have heart problems, at least you won't be left with one lone hen.

We also try to encourage people to give their hens enough room to move around, even if they also free range.  So please think about it very carefully before you stuff them in too small a space.

Bruced

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2009, 06:32 »
If $$$ is the issue, try freecycle - very occasionally, someone will offload a used coop / run but make sure to disinfect etc

wadz81

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2009, 07:26 »
We bought a 2x4 tool shed and put two floors in it as well as nest boxes and perches are girls love it! ::)

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2009, 08:19 »
Hi Seeker

If you can spend some money but don't want to pay full price for a chicken coop.  This is what we're using

LINK

Because it's plastic, it's easy to clean and we don't have to worry about the dreaded Red Mite which often plagues wooden coops.   I've adapted it by putting a wooden board over the bit where the mesh would go to keep them snug.  Although it's important they have space, I find at night all of my chickens cram into the tiny sleeping compartment regardless.

Please do get more than one hen, if something happens and you just end up with one, they look so lonely and you only have to watch them wondering around the garden together to know that they prefer to be in a flock.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2009, 09:27 by Vember »

Sassy

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2009, 08:57 »
Generally cats don't bother grown chucks. I think they would have a go at chicks tho'.
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Fifitrix

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2009, 09:10 »
Oh yes, that reminds me, I was going to comment on the cat thing.  We have a local cat that stalked the chickens relentlessly for the first 6 months and as he eats Pigeons for a hobby it was quite stressful, but he's given up now.  I think the chickens are too flappy and that's another good thing about getting more than one - safety in numbers!

However, as Sassy said they do eat chicks and this cat did manage to flip over the run and eat one of our chicks.   :(

seeker

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2009, 18:34 »
Thanks for the replies

Fifitrix  how many chickens do you keep in that hutch, you mentioned you have chicks were do  you keep them, iam assuming you have another hutch or something

about borading up the mesh part is it just a case of screwing on a plank of wood or do you have to make sure its completly sealed

Thanks

xx
suitable settings for chickens

Started by barefoot nellie on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 29, 2010, 23:08
by pigeonpie
xx
Suitable for feeding chickens as treats?

Started by blulagoo on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 20, 2008, 08:38
by kimT
xx
Is this suitable?

Started by tam on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post July 03, 2011, 19:15
by Sassy
xx
suitable varnish?

Started by owli on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2009, 18:04
by gcb

Page created in 0.26 seconds with 37 queries.