A question on peppers

• 9 Replies

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
A question on peppers
« on: June 28, 2011, 11:55 »
Hi,

I've got pepper and chilli plants in the greenhouse. Now, I read on here that chillis can take a bit of drying out before watering, so (kind of understandable?) I've been treating my peppers the same.

On another thread I've read that peppers are quite thirsty... so should I be watering them more than I have been? They're looking quite healthy and have nice juicy flower buds... although the plants themselves are only about a foot tall and all the buds are at the top of the plant.
Lucky Mother of 2 dogs, 2 cats (RiP Sherlock) and 4 chickens (welcome Brenda and Harriet)

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
Re: A question on peppers
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 14:14 »
*sigh*... unashamedly bumping back to first page  :tongue2:

aelf

• idndtdodaftl
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 14:17 »
Aunty will put you on the norty step for that  ???
There's more comfrey here than you can shake a stick at!

http://www.wedigforvictory.co.uk/dig_icon.gif[/img]

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 14:42 »
Please don't bump threads DG, especially after only a couple of hours (whatever page it ends up on.)

(After a couple of days a "supplementary" question usually does the trick, although sometimes there is no-one who has read the question who knows the answer.)

Sweet peppers should be kept evenly moist but certainly not waterlogged (I'm not actually a fan of letting chillies flop before watering, but that's a different subject!)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

topgazza

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 15:07 »
I've been growing several varieties of chilli and pepper for a few years now. Once outside I always give them a splosh of water each day and once bushy maintain that. Especially when they fruit. Mine sit is a "sun all day" hot corner of the garden and this year in particular where mine have been outside, it seems forever, I have been giving them a good dose of water in the heat and even a weekly mixture of Tomorite now the buds are appearing. Seems to work

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 15:33 »
Apologies for the 'bump'... I shall take myself off to the norty step for a considerable time!  :blink:

Thanks for the responses, I haven't started feeding yet - I thought you did that when the fruits started to appear, as opposed to the buds... will start feeding them tonight with yummy tomorite  :)

topgazza

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 15:48 »
Recommendation is as soon as the fruit appears as you say...otherwise...you can get "too many" leaves. I don't doubt its sound advice. I tried feeding a couple of years ago as the buds formed properly....it seemed to work. But you can always lay off until that fruit forms

Then I keep feeding as the fruit takes off. Last years Cheyanne chillis were just wonderfully hot and tasty....

gobs

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 18:30 »
Diddy, the chilis are best left unwatered for a few days before harvest, in order not to lose the heat of them.

Otherwise, most fruit needs a lot of water to swell. A great part of a pepper is water.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

topgazza

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 18:32 »
Ooh...I'll try that as well gobs.... I can't wait

Diddy Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 11:33 »
Brilliant... thanks folks!  :D

xx
peppers question

Started by webby139 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 10, 2011, 11:25
by oldcow
xx
Question about my Tomatoes and Peppers

Started by SalJ1980 on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 04, 2008, 18:28
by SkipRat
xx
sweet peppers and chilli question

Started by titch on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post October 12, 2008, 21:22
by Fat Hen
xx
Question: When and how to harvest chillis and peppers?

Started by japagow on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post August 29, 2011, 05:56
by Growster...

Page created in 0.53 seconds with 38 queries.