diagnostic help

• 6 Replies

bacchus51

diagnostic help
« on: June 26, 2011, 23:54 »
Over the past 2 years I've had 9 ex free-range hybrids for eggs. With the exception of 2 of them, the rest have died showing the same symptoms. They each have died, one at a time,usually 3-4 months apart whilst the remainder appear healthy. Could you please give me your opinions on what is killing them. Their symptoms are (in this order) :
  • eat more
    become withdrawn
    less active
    rapid weight loss to just skin and bone
     fluff-up with head tucked in feathers
    watery poo (have seen worms)

fall over when moving about
    death.

This whole process occurs over about 2 weeks
    There are no chicken friendly vets in my area so I have to figure this out for myself or with your help.
    I think it's worms but did not think that was fatal. Each time it happens I worm the flock again. However I could be reading the dosage incorrectly as it is intended for commercial-sized flocks.

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: diagnostic help
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 02:36 »
Hi bacchus, nice to see another kiwi on here. :)  Sad circumstances though. :(

What are you worming your chickens with, how are you administering it, and what dose are you using?  People on here recommend Flubenvet (Flubenol) but I haven't been able to find a source of it in NZ.

P.S. I know a couple of experienced chicken-keepers down your way so send me a PM if you're interested and I can put you in touch.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 02:37 by Lindeggs »

bacchus51

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 05:22 »
I'm using Aviverm which is all I can find here.The directions state to use 1ml/9Kg live weight into 8 hours water usage. The birds don't like it and prefer not to drink it so I've been mixing their mash with it. Lately I've put a little honey or molasses to sweeten it but the change of colour (molasses) also put them off. The bird that prompted this just died so down to one chicken now. I'd like to know what's killing them before I get more replacements.

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 11:24 »
Hello Bacchus51,
No advice, I'm afraid, I just wanted to wish you luck. 
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 12:11 »
hopefully this link will take you to a photo that will show you just why worms can be fatal:-

http://poultrykeeper.com/common-articles-to-all-poultry/health/poultry-wormers.html

you say your birds are ex free rangers - so how old are they? Most egg laying hybrids will die at around the age of 3 (there are a few exceptions and I have a few of them  :D).
Staffies are softer than you think.

bacchus51

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 19:55 »
It is difficult to tell the age of a bird once past the pullet stage so maybe they are dying of old age. But does this normally result in dramatic weight loss?

bacchus51

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 19:57 »
Further I received these birds as adults, so have no idea how old they were.

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 30 queries.