Two Kohl Rabi Q's - Purple vs White & Pots

• 3 Replies

Mazzie

• Experienced Member
Two Kohl Rabi Q's - Purple vs White & Pots
« on: June 26, 2011, 17:53 »
Ive conviced my OH on the delights of Kohl Rabi :D 

I got a mixed pack of seedlings both purple and whites (no idea on type) all the same size all put in on the same day in the same bed and yet only my purples are remotely near ready to eat and the whites even seem to have stopped growing.  Is this likely to be a breed thing, a soil thing or just one of those weird things? 

And i intend to make them a regular thing now i know he will eat them, would they be ok in smaller containers in the back garden?  My dug over lottie space is always at a premium but as im re-doing my back garden with a dog free zone (thats the plan anyway) i should have some space for pots next year.

Thanks  :)

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Two Kohl Rabi Q's - Purple vs White & Pots
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 19:09 »
They do grow Ok in containers  :D

Can't help too much about the two varieties though as I've only ever grown green ones.  Different varieties might well grow at different rates: they do with other brassicas  :)
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Mazzie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 21:22 »
See that shows what a newbie i am - i thought they would grow at the same rate  ::)

Thanks sunshine will deffinately try them in pots then

gobs

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 22:58 »
Ive conviced my OH on the delights of Kohl Rabi :D 

I got a mixed pack of seedlings both purple and whites (no idea on type) all the same size all put in on the same day in the same bed and yet only my purples are remotely near ready to eat and the whites even seem to have stopped growing.  Is this likely to be a breed thing, a soil thing or just one of those weird things? 

And i intend to make them a regular thing now i know he will eat them, would they be ok in smaller containers in the back garden?  My dug over lottie space is always at a premium but as im re-doing my back garden with a dog free zone (thats the plan anyway) i should have some space for pots next year.

Thanks  :)

Some varieties are only ever going to get very tiny, so try some, just in case they do not all go woody on you.
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

xx
Kohl rabi

Started by Candide on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 18, 2022, 12:26
by Candide
xx
Kohl rabi

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 20:21
by Growster...
xx
Kohl Rabi

Started by Boothy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2008, 18:22
by flatcap
xx
Kohl rabi

Started by Rich72 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 22:18
by surbie100

Page created in 0.584 seconds with 36 queries.