What are the differences between rhode island red and rhode island red bantam?

• 8 Replies

salt and pepper

• 5 Rhode Island red bantams and a golden retreiver
Hi everyone,

I'm new to keeping chickens, and are going to be looking around at different breeders, which taken advise from other post  :D
I have a Eglu Classic and want to make sure they have enough room inside, sugestion from omlet is 2 large breed / 4 medium breed or 6 bantam.
i'm wanting good egg production, friendly with children, hardy and pleasing to our eye :happy:
i thought i'd like 3 chickens of medium breed but not sure now.
what is the difference between the rhode island red and the rhode island red bantam ? do they both produce good amount of eggs and still produce in winter  ? is there much difference in size of egg ?  :unsure:

bantam novice

I am no expert; however I would think that the only difference would be in the size of the birds.  The bantam would be a smaller version of the full-size RIR and the eggs would be bantam size. 

If space is an issue you would be able to keep a few more bantams in the same space than full-size hens.
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
these aren't tiny bantams like Dutch, Sabelpoots and Belgians so their eggs would be about 2/3rds the size of the large fowl version.
Staffies are softer than you think.

AL Hathaway

• Experienced Member
  • I Love Chicken TV
    • Five Valleys Poultry
Hi a bantam Rohode Island is about the size of a Poland and weigh in at 1.5 to 1.7 lbs and lay a small egg but lay every day.

now if you get a traditional Large Fowl Rhode Island red they are a very large bird and lay large brown eggs weigh in at 8.5 pounds.They are a utility bird, raised for meat and eggs,both birds are friendly and easy enough to tame into a pet.

but buying RIR's in England is a hard Job to fine as alot of People like to Flog off columbian blacktail as a RIR and they are not. when looking to buy a RIR The bird's feathers are rust-colored, but darker shades are known, including maroon bordering on black. Their eyes are red-orange and they have yellow feet, with reddish-brown beaks.Chicks are a light red to tan color with two dark brown bars running down their backs.

RIR are friendly chickens with a good nature. They are very good pets for children, but they can get aggressive when annoyed(especially in roosters).

Rhode Island Reds are tough birds, resistant to illness, good at foraging and free ranging, and typically docile, quiet, and friendly. Although they are widely known as good layers through cold periods,
“We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel_Kant

hillfooter

Just get 3 hybrid layers there are plenty of attractive ones about and they are a medium sized bird but lay large eggs in abundance.  You should manage 3 in an EGLU OK.

HF
Truth through science.

Psychopenny

I agree with the suggestion of getting commercial layers: they a medium sized, almost never take a day off laying and tend to be extremely friendly.  any of the traditional old breeds will take time off from laying over the dark winter months.

salt and pepper

• 5 Rhode Island red bantams and a golden retreiver
Thank you for all your comments, i've been to a breeder tonight and seen both RIR & RIR Bantams, and lots of other breeds, i've seen the eggs that are produced too there not overly too small either. They're lovely, seen the chicks too which did have those markings  :) and how glossy/Shiney there feathers are  :)

with you mentioning a commercial layer that lays all year, do RIR bantams not lay all year, if not what period do they stop and start ?   

Thanks in advance, this forum is fab i'm learning new things all the time, thank you.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
most pure breed birds will lay through their first and possibly their second winter but after that they tend to stop laying from about October/November and then go into a full moult. They often then resume laying around February as the days start to get longer.
All hens lay approximately the same amount of eggs each but whilst hybrids will lay every day for two or three years pure breeds can continue laying a few eggs for eight years or so.

hillfooter

All my hens are oure breeds and mine don't take such a long winter break as Joys do.  Usually mid Nov to mid Jan this year.

HF

sad
HELP Rhode Island Red

Started by chickens4life :) on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post February 07, 2012, 09:43
by ANHBUC
xx
Rhode island not laying

Started by oneup555 on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post July 23, 2010, 09:30
by Jeanette
xx
rhode island reds

Started by 02rlgudgin on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post August 03, 2007, 23:16
by MontyTom
xx
Any Rhode Island Red breeders out there please?

Started by GrannieAnnie on The Hen House

16 Replies
Last post July 08, 2009, 22:45
by Ice

Page created in 0.207 seconds with 29 queries.