Burrowing critters

• 5 Replies

Kajazy

• Experienced Member
Burrowing critters
« on: June 20, 2011, 14:45 »
On my (new this year) allotment, I keep finding that the soil has been tunnelled under (it creates long hills of soft/collapsing soil) - the allotment is in a very rural situation - what do we think the critter is, and is there anything I can do about it? (The pesky thing likes to go directly under my firm-soil-loving brassicas - especially the sprouts!!).

All ideas welcomed...

crh75

Re: Burrowing critters
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 14:49 »
Sounds like a mole!

Starlings

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 16:02 »
Sounds like moles as said and i know a family member bought a scarer sort of like the one in the link and it seemed to work quite well i am sure if you look about they will be cheaper.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/STV-Solar-Power-Mole-Repeller/dp/B000P1R94E

Nikkithefoot

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 17:59 »
I personally have never found those scarers to work. We had moles in the garden and tried to get rid of them that way, but they seemed to like it and we ended up with more of a problem!

If you must use it make sure the earth is firm and well watered to allow the sonic wave to travel through the soil. It will really struggle on dry loose soil.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 18:19 »
We aslo have a problem with moles and the only thing that seems to deter them is regualrly tramping down their tunnels.

(I mean above them, not literally down along them... I'm not that short  :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Lost a lot of peas before I realised what was going on, because the roots got so little water  :ohmy: :wacko:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 23:21 »
I had a pretty bad invasion from moles in my veggie plot a couple of weeks back. I bought a couple of solar powered mole scarers (used them before but the old one died when the lawn mower crashed into it) and stuck them in the bed. It took exactly two days before the moles were driven out of the veggie plot, i've left them in there ever since and the only time I saw a sign of moles was when one of the scarers ran out of power overnight. The only problem I have with them is that they don't always seem to charge up as well as they should unless you disconnect them so there's no discharge and stick them in a sunny spot for a few hrs to recharge. But when they're running, they do get rid of the moles.

xx
Critters in me greenhouse

Started by ytyynycefn on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 19, 2007, 18:07
by Aunt Sally
xx
Swimming Critters!

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 10, 2008, 22:42
by agapanthus
xx
What the devil are these critters?

Started by beachlover on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post April 18, 2007, 17:27
by WG.
xx
Slugs, those pesky critters...

Started by rawrecruit on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 09, 2013, 10:58
by Willow_Warren

Page created in 0.411 seconds with 28 queries.