Hiya, Newbie here!!

• 5 Replies

Kiea

Hiya, Newbie here!!
« on: June 20, 2011, 01:23 »
Hiya
I have just got my 2 girls from one of the sellers that advertise on Poultry Pages.

I am over the moon with them, and I'm already in love!!
They are 2 warrens (not named yet, got so many old fashioned lady names, just don't know which ones to go for!!) .
The lady i bought them from, was so helpful, but I forgot to ask a couple of questions, (i was so excited!)
They are POL ,  and they seemed to have settled in really well, they have been on the grass today in their run. My questions are.... Should I let them settle in before I let them have the run of the garden? and also, will they fly? I'm just worried in case they fly away... I have googled and it does give varying answers. 
They are really friendly, love the noises they make, I see where the saying, rosey like mother hens comes from now, they don't seem to be bothered being picked up, but can i "Mither" them to much..??

Sorry to sign up to the forum and ask all these questions, just want to do right by my little ladies!!

Thank You in advance
 :)
Springer Spaniel (boris) , Cat (Fluffs)  , 2 Berber Skinks (lizards) (Deli and Yojojo) and 2 Warrens (so many names!!)

Lindeggs

• A little Kiwi
Re: Hiya, Newbie here!!
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 01:36 »
Hello Kiea.  I'm not surprised you have fallen for your new chickens.  It seems to happen to all of us!  :lol:

It is a good idea to keep your new girls confined for a few days to be sure they are settled in before letting them out into the garden.  Anything from a few days to a week should do it.  You will see when they confidently put themselves to bed each night that they are settled.  You shouldn't have to round them up and put them away.

Some chickens are more likely to fly than others.  This depends on breed, and on individual temperament.  I don't know about Warrens so hopefully other people with experience of the breed will be able to help you.

My six chickens of different breeds have never tried to get out of my garden.  They are certainly capable of getting to the top of the fences, but they choose not to leave.  For this reason I have never had to clip their wings, although some people do clip wing-feathers to limit their flying ability.

I think you are very lucky to have hens that enjoy being handled.  In my mind there is no such thing as too much handling.  In fact if you are familiar with the way your chickens look and feel, you are much more likely to spot potential problems (eg weight-loss).  So go ahead and give them all the cuddles they want!  :)

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 14:05 »
Welcome Kiea, my Black Rocks are excellent fliers but have no interest in leaving the garden.  My Bovan Goldlines are a bit heavier but still fly over their 1.2 meter fence no problem but they only choose to do that when they get excited seeing me come out of the house.  They associate me with vegies and mealworms!   :D  Enjoy getting to know your hens, they will let you know if they have had enough of you handling them. 
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

bantam novice

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 21:37 »
Welcome Kiea  :)
I would agree with what Lindeggs and ANHBUC have said.  Enjoy your girls and be prepared to want to increase your flock.  They can really become addictive :D
We love seeing pictures on this forum so if you can download some of your girls that would be great.  :D
11 bantams (and counting!) 2 dogs 1 cat

jill247

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 23:08 »
Hiya I have 6 hens and one of them is a warren called coral her nature is brilliant and she is so loving now she has got to know me she grooms my hair everyday not that i have nits lol. She is the bottom of the hens and runs to me for protection bless her . enjoy your hens as much as we all do.

bramford

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 13:37 »
Hi I have 2 warrens and they are lovely  :D
They can fly a little bit so I clipped mine just to make sure, mind you 1 managed to get under the gate the other day and wondered off down the road  :mad: luckly someone found he and brought her back 

xx

Started by Suzybat on The Hen House

6 Replies
Last post September 15, 2011, 22:03
by Suzybat
xx
Newbie!!

Started by Letty on The Hen House

12 Replies
Last post May 10, 2009, 19:21
by GrannieAnnie
xx

Started by l.bailey on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post June 02, 2011, 14:56
by l.bailey
xx
Newbie!

Started by clairebeau on The Hen House

13 Replies
Last post August 02, 2008, 20:48
by Kate and her Ducks

Page created in 0.219 seconds with 28 queries.