Am I too late?!

• 3 Replies

Y.E.A.H

• I love growing unusual vegetables!
Am I too late?!
« on: June 16, 2011, 13:51 »
This spring i sort of lost my enthusiasm for growing, i tried growing some peas but that didn't kick start anything. Then i'd been very busy the past 2 months and basically did nothing on the plot. Then family members (including myself) have got an stomach bug and the allotment is a mess and i can't do a thing about it! I thought i'd make good use of the time i'm stuck in the house to sort out the seeds i'm growing (yes believe it or not i haven't planted anything other than potatoes yet!!!). So i was wondering if it is too late for any of these things?!

Spring Onion - White Lisbon
Carrot - Paris market 5 atlas
Courgette - Black beauty
Courgette - Long green bush
Parsnip - tender and true
Cauliflower - All year round
Cucumber - Bedfordshire prize
Radish - Hilds blauer herbst und winter
Pea - Rondo
Turks Turban squash
Lettuce - Lollo rossa
Runner bean
White beetroot
Carrot - Royal chantenay red
French bean - Blue lake
Borlotti beans
Sweetcorn
Butternut squash

Do any of these NOT like be to planted next to each other?!

Thanks

Y.E.A.H

Springlands

Re: Am I too late?!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2011, 14:10 »
Hi Y.E.A.H. - sorry things have not been so good recently. Apart from the parsnip, cauliflower and the sweetcorn which I think you are too late to plant, I would say that you would be OK to plant most things now - especially if the weather finally begins to improve.

I have just re-sowed courgettes because I lost some of mine to the bad weather conditions and they should be going outside within the next two weeks - they really do not take too long to germinate. And I am just about to plant peas, french beans, beetroot, spring onions and other salads directly into a couple of new patches. Nearly forgot - I have also re-sowed cukes and they will be going into the greenhouse bed soon.

Not too sure about the plants not liking being planted near each other - I just make sure that I use a basic crop rotation.

Good luck with your planting.

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2011, 20:28 »
Here's a sowing chart to help you out
http://www.allotment-garden.org/vegetable/general/sowing-harvest-vegetable-chart.php

I think you're too late for squash plants, and possibly for courgettes - I'd try to get plants for those if possible and save the seed for next year.

I'd keep onions away from beans but otherwise try to get some basic grouping of families of plants together for rotation and nutrition etc purposes.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Y.E.A.H

• I love growing unusual vegetables!
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2011, 02:15 »
Thanks for the info Springlands and Yorkie! :D First thing tomorrow i'm going to plant everything and hopefully it'll all catch up by mid July   :)

xx
Late late sowings of parsnip and carrot

Started by WG. on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post April 06, 2007, 19:21
by WG.
xx
Broad beans - too late or not to late?

Started by redfire on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 30, 2008, 10:23
by weeeed
xx
to late to plant "late" potatos?

Started by mickeyboy on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post July 06, 2007, 20:53
by Beanzie
xx
Will i be too late ?

Started by Grinin'Reaper on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post March 27, 2007, 16:09
by diggerjoe

Page created in 0.662 seconds with 29 queries.