chickens are now a family

• 3 Replies

gracie

• Experienced Member
chickens are now a family
« on: June 09, 2011, 22:50 »
I think from the looks of this photo last night that the almost 10 week old chickens have accepted the 7 week old chicks into their family. We kept them apart for a week, I know it should have been a bit longer but we had a good look around where they came from and were happy with it.
Then we sat outside with them all free rangeing for a couple of days, gradually increasing their time together. Had to have a few words with the big ones when they were having a nasty peck. When we eventually put them in the run together they kept 2 x 2 but yesterday was the breakthrough and they were walking round the garden together.

This morning i let the big ones out as the little ones were still in bed and after only 5 mins free ranging they kept coming in the patio doors, something they never do as they are too busy picking up the  mornings bugs.  This continued for 5 mins or so they wouldnt go away. I thought i would check on the little ones and as i got closer to the coop the big ones were making a right old noise. The little ones appeared to be stuck on the perch. Cheeping loudly making no attempt to get down.  They are buff Orpingtons and it has become apparant they arent too keen on flying, they looked really nervy to get down, but with some encouragment they did. (Figured they need to learn to do it for themselves, they did after all get up there alone). I truly believe the big ones were coming to get me to get their little sisters up. My friend at work just thinks i am the mad chicken woman, what do you think?
Also what do you think of the small one on the left the comb seems very slightly larger, could it be a boy, I cant see any other difference yet. The breeder said I could take any back that were boys as they take longer to sex, but really hoping I wont have to.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
Re: chickens are now a family
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 23:22 »
Awww, gracie, that's lovely!   :) :)

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 08:11 »
lovely photo  :D
Staffies are softer than you think.

JaK

• Happy half plot.
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 09:03 »
Lovely so see them settled in and all together now. The two orpingtons look tiny compared to the others  :ohmy: Not fot long tho I guess.

xx
Family Portrait

Started by nerdle on Chicken Chat

7 Replies
Last post September 06, 2012, 20:42
by andy46
xx
Grace adds to her chicken family

Started by graces-chickens on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 11:26
by nicky d
xx
can i keep chickens

Started by chicken phil on Chicken Chat

1 Replies
Last post May 29, 2011, 15:24
by Aunt Sally
xx
new to chickens

Started by sunny side up on Chicken Chat

2 Replies
Last post August 05, 2010, 22:03
by grenhouse

Page created in 0.109 seconds with 37 queries.