Allotment plot sizes

• 5 Replies

Stratts

• Experienced Member
Allotment plot sizes
« on: June 08, 2011, 16:18 »
I've worked out that my actual growing area of the allotment will be 4m (13ft) wide x 26m (85ft) long.

After reading up on crop rotation on here I reckon the 4 year plan looks like the simplest for me to follow as a noob.

Do you guys think 4 areas approx 4m wide x 6.5m long will be ok for that system to grow a good variety of fruit and veg?

I'm trying to draw up a plan ready for next year so I know what areas to feed, lime, compost, etc,

Cheers

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
Re: Allotment plot sizes
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 16:28 »
Does this exclude the area used for:-paths, hut, fixed beds (strawberries etc) and compost bins.
Normal 4 year rotation does not include fruit which is nomally in your fixed beds.

Stratts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 22:24 »
Oh yeah what a plank, the path is outside this size but forgot bout compost bin, leaf mould and a comfrey plot.

Never realised the fruit would be static so I'll draw up another plan.

I'd say I'm gonna be left with about 70ft long x 13ft wide for veg rotation - Maybe 4 bays of 15ft x 13ft to allow for room between, etc

TerryB

• Winner of the Tallest Sunflower Competition - 2011
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 09:41 »
Hi Stratts
Assuming you are going for traditional open plot areas (not raised beds) you will not have to leave any space between the area's because the gap left between rows will be big enough for you to walk along.
Just put a marker between each area and make a simple drawing of what is planted were each year. You will forget what was plant in each area after a couple of years.
Good luck and enjoy. 

Stratts

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 12:29 »
Ah yes another good point thanks mate it'll be traditional plots.  That'll gain me another 10ft I guess, happy days

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 20:23 »
I find I need more area for Brassicas than others. They are large plants ...

Spuds is another "larger than normal" area if you grow main crop (but I don't anymore as they are cheap-as-chips (Sorry!) to buy, and all the ones I've grown didn't store well enough to last the Winter - unlike the ones from the local Farm Shop stored in ideal temperature controlled cool-store ...

Experience will tell how big each of the 4 "zones" needs to be (and then how you deal with one needing to be bigger than the others, but still "rotate" annually. Good luck!

I suggest you keep a notebook with:

Date sown, germinated, pricked out (if grown under cover) / planted out, first & last harvest dates, and number of plants grown.  Also notes about whether you like/dislike the flavour and whether you want more/less next year.

Last Harvest date will help with "When can I plant a follow on crop"

xx
Allotment & Plot sizes

Started by Zak the Rabbit on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post September 21, 2006, 10:38
by Zak the Rabbit
xx
allotment bed sizes.

Started by gowing238 on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post March 05, 2010, 10:08
by noshed
xx
Bed sizes

Started by plopleuk on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 22:22
by Junie
xx
pot sizes

Started by kermit on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post March 23, 2011, 23:07
by Kristen

Page created in 2.375 seconds with 30 queries.