arrr, garlic ...what can i do ?

• 11 Replies

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
arrr, garlic ...what can i do ?
« on: June 07, 2011, 06:34 »
i had a little peek at my garlic over the weekend and found it had sort of split into cloves instead of a whole bulb, i have pulled them all up, can i freeze it if i mince the cloves first.
LISA X X X

Nikkithefoot

Re: arrr, garlic ...what can i do ?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2011, 07:02 »
That's what the garlic is meant to do, split into individual cloves. Look at bought garlic.

It shouldn't be dug until the tops start to die back, then dig and allow to thoroughly dry before storing in a similar way to onions. You shouldn't cut the tops back until dry and ready to store.
I was put on this earth to accomplish a certain number of things; right now I am so far behind I will never die.

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 07:30 »
 its grown into bulbs, the same as you buy in the shops, but then the bulbs have started to split away into individual cloves, seperating them from the bulb, i no longer have bulbs just cloves with shoots coming out of each one. the tops had yellowed thats why i had a peek. i grew garlic last year and had a great result, dont understand this....

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2011, 08:06 »
sounds like an odd one  ??? . I guess you're better off digging them up if the main green shoot has yellowed. we have never frozen garlic. we kept ours in a cool place for the whole year and it never rotted or started to chit. 

When did you plant them in?

needssomehelp

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2011, 08:13 »
i planted them in oct-nov. i have bought frozen minced garlic so i might give that ago, dont think its gonna store very well any other way  :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2011, 09:38 »
Although I did plant a row of garlic this year it was only because it was donated by a neighbour who was going away for a long holiday; seems to be doing pretty well for an unknown supermarket variety although I don't know how good the actual bulbs will be yet.  :unsure:

The rest of the time I usually use a squirt or two of garlic puree from a tube unless I actually need whole cloves in the finished dish. It's great stuff (speaking as one who thinks life's too short to spend any of it cleaning garlic presses!)  :wub:
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

potatogrower

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2011, 11:06 »
if tops are yellow then best to dig them out and use them. As its fresh you can freeze them as you want but i'm just worried if it spreads the strong garlic smell inside your freezer everywhere then everything will smell of it.  break off the small shoots and see how it keeps in a cool place.

Quetzal

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2011, 13:14 »
we've had a similar thing happen with our garlic, i think. Some of them have started growing multiple shoots out from the bottom, instead of the main stem growing. I think it might be to do with the weird hot then wet then hot weather we (at least) have been having.

I dunno what to do - we've just left them all there for the time being, and will probably p[ull them out together with the ones that seem ok, then see what we can make of them.

lancashiregardeninggal

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2011, 22:05 »
Although I did plant a row of garlic this year it was only because it was donated by a neighbour who was going away for a long holiday; seems to be doing pretty well for an unknown supermarket variety although I don't know how good the actual bulbs will be yet.  :unsure:

The rest of the time I usually use a squirt or two of garlic puree from a tube unless I actually need whole cloves in the finished dish. It's great stuff (speaking as one who thinks life's too short to spend any of it cleaning garlic presses!)  :wub:

You don't need a garlic press - just use the flat of a very broad knife to squish and then chop - you could do a job lot and store it - I think garlic paste is expensive :)

'Is All That We See Or Seem But A Dream Within A Dream'........Edgar Allan Poe

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2011, 00:25 »
I'd agree with you about garlic presses, but I've got a garlic twist now and they're fab. Much easier to chop the garlic, no waste at all and a quick rinse under the tap to clean.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2011, 07:09 »
I use a rotary cheese grater!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

JohnB47

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2011, 11:13 »
its grown into bulbs, the same as you buy in the shops, but then the bulbs have started to split away into individual cloves, seperating them from the bulb, i no longer have bulbs just cloves with shoots coming out of each one. the tops had yellowed thats why i had a peek. i grew garlic last year and had a great result, dont understand this....

Never heard of this happening either. What variety did you plant? Might be relevant.

clip
Elephant garlic or ordinary garlic

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 14, 2022, 13:46
by cc
xx
When is Garlic ready to be used as Green Garlic?

Started by Headgardener22 on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post April 01, 2012, 12:55
by arugula
xx
Elephant Garlic / Garlic

Started by dapper on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post June 28, 2009, 08:25
by dapper
xx
Garlic ? ? ?

Started by Potiron on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post April 21, 2008, 18:09
by jazzbyrd

Page created in 0.55 seconds with 37 queries.