squash - can you store it?

• 15 Replies

gobs

squash - can you store it?
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2007, 09:19 »
Quote from: "Digger Dave"
Quote from: "Smudgeboy"

I've got one "Winter Squash" (variety "Barbara") which has grown well but still no sign of any fruit. I'm desperately clinging on to the hope that winter means winter, and I'll see a late burst in the next couple of months.

"Winter" means that it's suitable for winter storage, not that it'll grow in the winter. My squash is only just fruiting - so hang on in there!

Exactly so, I'm afraid, guys, if you do not have a decent sized, more or les ripe fruit/s on them by mid september, which you can then let ripening for a coupleof weeks, weather permitting, it's gone to the dogs...
They greatly vary in size and storage abilities, read your cat.
The Crown Prince is a good storer and brilliant flavour for roasting(for pudding even), a good fruit of this could be around 30-40 cm in diameter. I'm only getting one that size this year...
For next year: hungry plants, lots of muck, big and prolific, but for clim reasons it works a treat stopping them, once some fruit set, prune behind a flower/fruit.
And for storage remember munty's straw(or use netting to hang) and mind the mice :evil:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
B&M store

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 17:01
by Yorkie
question
How do you store potatoes

Started by newby on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post June 07, 2009, 15:13
by lisa80
xx
Store tomatoes anyone

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post October 03, 2022, 16:20
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.474 seconds with 28 queries.