squash - can you store it?

• 15 Replies

Deano27

• Experienced Member
« on: September 07, 2007, 13:24 »
haven't had much luck with squashes this year, i bought a winter variety which has grown so its about half a foot across and nothing more has happened now for a couple of months.  no sign of flowers or fruit.

considering trying several summer varieties next year but need to know whether squashes store well? i'd prefer not to eat them asap, really enjoy them when the weather gets cold.  any advice?

muntjac

« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2007, 13:26 »
cool dark shed ,on a layer of straw  will be good a couple mths or more .
still alive /............

Deano27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 13:31 »
any suggestions why i've not had much joy with the winter butternet squash? it started fine but nothing has really happened since.  is there a chance it could still fruit or is it too late in the season now?

muntjac

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 13:36 »
the weathers played a big part in wreckin things this year if you still have flowers on it try rubbing the male flowers into the females .they can still have a go till the first frosts  :wink:

Sadgit

• Village Idiot
    • Middlesbrough Weather
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 13:44 »
our of all my plants I have 1 small fruit forming... loads and loads of male flowers though and only 2 of them have opened and they are HUGE plants now as well.. hoping for much better luck next year.

rob

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 14:29 »
Hi, I have quite a few decent size squash (prince variety i think).
2 of them are getting quite big.  Could anyone tell me the size when they should picked and put away for storage?

muntjac

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 14:36 »
when they are stil firm an the colour is god .dont let them go soft at the stem end .cut the stem through with a sharp knife n let rest for the day to let the wound heal :wink:

rob

« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 20:08 »
Thanks for the advice. :tongue2:

Bernard

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 22:30 »
When I was able to grow squashes in a different garden (don't know why I can't now, but that's how it is) I used to let them mature on the plant then before frost, put them in a cool place. They kept well for months, getting sweeter all the time.

Annie

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 23:09 »
I have had a rubish year as well after a very slow start the plants took off produced loads of male and female flowers and thenfruit rotted off at about 2",hand pollinating,removing spent flowers made no difference.

Whenyou can grow them in a better year thenyou can grow varieties that shops do not sell and winter sqash last for ages in a coolplace,I think we ate our last winter festival in april/may this year.

Smudgeboy

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 23:12 »
Quote from: "Deano27"
any suggestions why i've not had much joy with the winter butternet squash? it started fine but nothing has really happened since.  is there a chance it could still fruit or is it too late in the season now?

I've got one "Winter Squash" (variety "Barbara") which has grown well but still no sign of any fruit. I'm desperately clinging on to the hope that winter means winter, and I'll see a late burst in the next couple of months.
Veg? That's chips, innit?

muntjac

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 23:15 »
nip the growing tips out  and with luck it may come to flowers  :wink:  you can cover them with a decenct sized cloche if you have one .something like the plastic roofing sheeet ones i have ( piccy to follow )

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2007, 07:38 »
Quote from: "Smudgeboy"

I've got one "Winter Squash" (variety "Barbara") which has grown well but still no sign of any fruit. I'm desperately clinging on to the hope that winter means winter, and I'll see a late burst in the next couple of months.

"Winter" means that it's suitable for winter storage, not that it'll grow in the winter. My squash is only just fruiting - so hang on in there!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Annie

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2007, 09:33 »
Pray for late frosts as unless they`re covered thats the end of the squash season.

Flaneur

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2007, 16:42 »
Quote from: "Annie"
I have had a rubish year as well after a very slow start the plants took off produced loads of male and female flowers and thenfruit rotted off at about 2.

That's been my experience too this year: plenty of fruit set but going mouldy - flower end first - when still small, even now when it's been dry and warm for several weeks.

The plants are still growing strongly and producing plenty of flowers so frost permitting I'm hoping all is not lost.

Last year from two plants I got about 20 fruits weighing an average of 1.5lbs each and they were fine stored until after Christmas. And the flavour seemed to improve the longer they were kept.
Il faut cultiver notre jardin

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
B&M store

Started by billathome65 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 18, 2011, 17:01
by Yorkie
xx
Where do you store your seeds ?

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

26 Replies
Last post January 23, 2009, 20:20
by rainbow1
xx
Will first earlies store.

Started by Spana on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post July 08, 2010, 21:27
by Spana

Page created in 0.411 seconds with 36 queries.