How are slugs getting in greenhouse ?

• 14 Replies

hubballi

How are slugs getting in greenhouse ?
« on: June 05, 2011, 16:05 »
I can't believe how slugs and some small snails are getting in my 6x4 lean to greenhouse after I took the trouble of sealing the gaps when I constructed it. Not small slugs but mainly medium and the odd massive fat orange ones. The floor is flag stones with soil/sand in between. Some worms are bringing soil up between them but surely slugs can't get up through that. I am going to put down soot, salt and pellets to deter them. They are so annoying as some new plants have been completely eaten in their pots.  :mad:

arugula

• Winner - prettiest sunflower 2011
  • hic svnt leones
Re: How are slugs getting in greenhouse ?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 16:11 »
Unfortunately, there may be eggs in the soil. They look like little white marbles about 4mm in diameter.
"They say a snow year's a good year" -- Rutherford.

Nige2Plots

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2011, 19:05 »
Unfortunately, there may be eggs in the soil. They look like little white marbles about 4mm in diameter.
That is a good point! I would also look under anything you have on the floor

hubballi

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2011, 19:50 »
No eggs in soil. All new compost straight out of the bag.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2011, 20:05 »
Do you leave the door/windows open when it's hot? snails can climb :(
 I think most greenhouses will have slugs in...............I always have a few pellets down.

ANHBUC

• "You looking at me?!!!"
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 20:44 »
copper tape or pipe round your doorway/window should stop them getting in.  You will have to hunt out the ones that have already invaded your greenhouse though.  Best to catch them when it is dark and humid.  Armed with a torch and a jar with lid, fill the jar put on lid and place in bin.  Good luck
Ain't Nobody Here But Us Chickens!
Bagpuss RIP 1992 - June 2012, 1 huge grass carp (RIP "Jaws" July 2001 - December 2011), 4 golden orfe, 1 goldfish and 1 fantail fish (also huge)! plus 4 Italian quail, 1 Japanese quail, 1 Rosetta quail.

hubballi

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 01:10 »
Yep, caught a few tonight with torch. I never leave the door or window open during the night. What I did notice though was a slug getting through between the polycarbonate sheet and the frame which is very scary. It's held down with wire clips so there is a good amount of pressure holding them flat. I have also just found a medium sized one inside the hollow bit (very very narrow) of the actual polycarbonate. It's now stuck as the sub has come out. beggers belief.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 09:38 by hubballi »

ANHBUC

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 12:10 »
Wonder if Rentokil Insect Pen would be any good on slugs.  Haven't found anything online but it might be worth a try putting some on your windows.

ecowarrior

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2011, 20:56 »
You will be surprised how easily slugs and snails can penitrate through the tiniest hole i always sprinkle a few blue pellets under my plant trays  .If you have windows in the greenhouse you will see them at night sliding down the glass they usually hide during daylight hours check under pots and trays .If you throw them out they will come back they sort of have a homing device built in look for tell tale signs silver slim trails. good luck

N.WalesIdealist

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2011, 20:09 »
Put some blue pellets down, LESS IS MORE!!!  You really only need a dozen or two for a whole green house, the lsugs will be attracted to them and once they're eaten they'll die.  Just check the pellets every day or so, if they start to dissappear you'll need to put more down, if not, then your slugs aren't a problem anymore!

Just a side note...the slug pellets I'm talking about are the blue ones (metaldehyde?).  The organic ones that look a bit grit don't work as well in my opinion, unless you use them in large amount, which isn't very economical on an allotment!

hubballi

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 11:09 »
I am beaten by this. I put pellets down and they just go mouldy and rot. Slugs still getting in between the plastic glass and the frame. Its impossible to keep them out  :(

ANHBUC

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 17:38 »
You could try dissolving salt in hot water, letting it cool, put it in a spray bottle and spray the areas they are getting in.  This should hopefully kill them off by the time they get into your greenhouse.  Just be careful not to get the spray on your plants.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 18:09 »
Put the pellets on a saucer or shallow dish, the slugs will still find them and they last a bit longer that way

hubballi

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2012, 11:31 »
Good advice  :) I will try all those. I might even get a beer trap inside too.

PurplePixie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 14:52 »
I don't know if theres a way you could put it around the edges or underneath but Homebase do a weed control fabric that has a copper coating on it.

Hubby noticed it when he went in to buy some to put under the new greenhouse but he said it would have worked out to expensive to cover the whole area we needed.

Maybe theres a way you could tuck it under or sort of seal the edges a bit?

xx
building a lean-to greenhouse to fight slugs

Started by Superhero on Design and Construction

9 Replies
Last post June 12, 2013, 21:35
by Superhero
xx
Keep Slugs off your lettuce

Started by Nogger on Design and Construction

0 Replies
Last post November 19, 2008, 15:25
by Nogger
xx
gravel or slate to deter slugs?

Started by GD on Design and Construction

3 Replies
Last post February 13, 2012, 22:47
by grinling
xx
Greenhouse

Started by sloegin on Design and Construction

5 Replies
Last post July 09, 2010, 21:56
by sloegin

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 31 queries.