Growing Grass

• 2 Replies

Raven81

Growing Grass
« on: June 04, 2011, 20:53 »
I am no gardener whatsoever (I am on this site as I have hens), we are in the process of redoing our garden, but when the patio is complete will have no grass at all. Due to the fact I have guinea pigs, a dog, cats and hens I will need to grow some in a tub.
I have around a month until the patio is being done, so my question is, what is the best way to grow grass - grass that will actually grow and stay alive! I thought of laying a slab of turf in a tub, but my OH said that wouldn't grow properly and we should use grass seed (which seems rather hit and miss).
Any ideas?
The glass is neither half empty or half full - it is simply the incorrect size! Find a new glass!

Trillium

Re: Growing Grass
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2011, 03:40 »
Never heard of growing grass in a tub before, but hey, that's what makes gardening interesting. The tub would need to have some depth to it, at least a foot, with drainage holes at the bottom. The soil mix should be a decent one, either a black earth or specific soil for containers. Fill with soil to the level you want (at least 12" to prevent constant drying out), then gently firm it down with a hand. Sprinkle grass seed over top, then top that with maybe 1/4" more soil. Press down with hand again. Gently water so not to dislodge the seeds and water every 2nd day until you see the grass sprouting.

You'll need to water this tub twice a week to keep the grass healthy, and give it a bit of general fertilizer several times during the summer as the roots will soon use up all available food in the soil. In fall, change to the fall type fertilizer which has the low first number. This will just strengthen roots for the winter. A small package of each type fertilizer should last the year. you can always clip the grass with sharp hedge shears, never dull ones which tear the grass and make it susceptible to diseases.

Raven81

Re: Growing Grass
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 09:22 »
Thanks for that, I know it sounds ridiculous but I had no idea where to start!

Page created in 0.204 seconds with 28 queries.