Fox Deterrents

• 20 Replies

Chicken star

Fox Deterrents
« on: June 04, 2011, 18:37 »
Last week the local fox returned and stole the last of my 4 hens "/  :( I've tried lots of deterrents but not have really worked.
So i was wondering what fox deterrets you have used to give me some ideas before i buy another lot of hens.
Thanks Chicken Star

Kleftiwallah

Re: Fox Deterrents
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2011, 20:13 »

I'm sure there are stronger welded meshes on the market.  I sympathise but could you not see where your hen run's weaknesses were and improve them?      Cheers,   Tony.
I may be growing OLD, but I refuse to grow UP !

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2011, 20:18 »
Sorry to hear about your losses  :( I have lost chickens to a fox in the past  :mad: so I know how you must be feeling.  

Were they taken from the run?  If so, make sure that the wire mesh is dug well into the ground so that the fox cannot dig underneath.  I have a walk in run which is approximately 7ft high; the roof is covered so that Mr Fox cannot jump over the sides.  2 sides of my run are built alongside a concrete path, so pretty sure Mr Fox can't get through that way.  Use welded mesh as opposed to 'chicken' wire as foxes can chew through chicken wire.   :mad:

If your ladies were free ranging, I'd say they need to be kept in a secure run.   :wub:

I'm sure other people will be along to give their opinions/ideas.   :nowink:
2 German Shepherds, Kira & Bruin, 4 hybrid chicks Chryssie, Violet, Sweet Pea and Astra.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2011, 20:23 »
electric fence could be an option if you have foxes around
Staffies are softer than you think.

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2011, 22:35 »
I'm with Honeysuckle, we're just putting a roof on our run as the 6' fence was not high enough to stop them jumping over.

Alice - Australorp
Bernadette - Barnevelder
Dora - Silver Grey Dorking
LilliBet - Cream Leg Bar

hillfooter

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2011, 02:31 »
I'm with Honeysuckle, we're just putting a roof on our run as the 6' fence was not high enough to stop them jumping over.

It would be if you were to put an electrrified  "guard" wire about 5foot up spaced off using insulators and another about 6 inches above the ground spaced away from the fence to stop digging.  The fence itself would need to be earthed by strapping it with a wire to an earthe stake driven about 2 to 3 foot into the ground preferably at a damp spot.  You can "educate the fox by wrapping a piece of bacon round the electrified strand.

An alternative is a 1.22 m electric net baited to educate the fox again.  Foxes can't climb nets where as they can rigid fences unless there's an over hag outwards or electrified guard wires.

Chemical fox deterents and flashing lights or scarers aren't 100% effective though if there are easier local pickings they may help.  A bit like having a burglar alarm if your neighbours don't.

HF
Truth through science.

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2011, 08:21 »

It would be if you were to put an electrrified  "guard" wire about 5foot up spaced off using insulators and another about 6 inches above the ground spaced away from the fence to stop digging. 
[/quote]

OOh how I'd love to "educate" them  :D A friend has offered me a unit on loan, I'd only have to get the wire, how easy is it to do HF? I bet you lives mile away  :( Of to google x

Chicken star

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2011, 08:30 »
Thanks everyone.
Yes my hens used to be free range and then about 2 months a go i came to see them about midday and 11/16 of them had been stolen however there weren't any carcases which was the strange thing. The only thing i can think of is that the Fox has cubs with it, also i was amazed that the fox had been during the day time as i had been up in the morning and they where fine.  :wacko:
Anyway so i had 5 left one turned broody so she was put in to a different coop and she's still alive now. I then put the remaining 4 hens into, what i thought was a secure coop, I had put the wire about 3/4 inches in to the ground, i had used strong mesh about 5foot tall to fence the coop in and used thinner mesh to go over the top, what you use to put around fruit trees. Then a few weeks later the fox came about 6,00pm and jumped over the coop ripped the mesh and stole the remaining 4.

That's why i was so shocked it was quite secure and the fox had only been back during the day time or evening.
Thanks for all your help. I will bare it in mind before planning my new coop.

Honeysuckle

• Experienced Member
  • Kira & Bruin
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2011, 17:49 »

It would be if you were to put an electrrified  "guard" wire about 5foot up spaced off using insulators and another about 6 inches above the ground spaced away from the fence to stop digging.  The fence itself would need to be earthed by strapping it with a wire to an earthe stake driven about 2 to 3 foot into the ground preferably at a damp spot.  You can "educate the fox by wrapping a piece of bacon round the electrified strand.

An alternative is a 1.22 m electric net baited to educate the fox again.  Foxes can't climb nets where as they can rigid fences unless there's an over hag outwards or electrified guard wires.

Chemical fox deterents and flashing lights or scarers aren't 100% effective though if there are easier local pickings they may help.  A bit like having a burglar alarm if your neighbours don't.

HF

I contemplated electric fencing after our fox attack but I worry about my dog or grandchildren touching it.  I know it can be turned off but there's that one occasion when it gets forgptten  :wub: or indeed it doesn't get switched back on... :wub:

kimmcb

• Conquering the world, one chicken at a time.
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2011, 09:43 »
Does anyone know (and I'm kind of dreading the answer) my hen house is off the ground and opens with a ramp down in to a mesh covered run. I close the run completely at night but the mesh doesn't seem very strong and I am sure that a determined fox could chew through it - I plan to reinforce it before winter. But once in the run, can a fox break into a wooden coop?

shetan

• Experienced Member
  • a wandering soul in a gsd body
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2011, 09:58 »
i'm no expert kimmcb but when we took on 2 cochin chicks from chickway, i kept them seperate for a week in a small wooden coop.

was washing the dishes one evening only to look up and see a fox on the roof trying to chew the wood off. my husband went out with one of those toy pistols and shooed it off.

as i was in the kitchen and saw it happening, the chooks were safe but what if it had been during the night? foxy would have had all the time  in the world to chew through and i dread to think of what might have happened.

(on a different note though - a friend of mine keeps chooks and had fox visits very often - then someone left a ferret on his doorstep which pees all around the boundary wall....much to mr. fox's displeasure. friend claims the visits have diminished by 80-85%..something to think about? )
1 Husband, 3 German Shepherds, 3 Black Jersey Giants, 3 White Jersey Giants, 1 White Jersey Cross, 1Blue Buff Columbian Brahma, 2 Buff Columbian Brahma, 1 White Columbian Brahma,  3 Gold Brahmas, 2 Golden Quail, 2 Giant Continental Rabbits and a Sister!

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2011, 09:59 »
they can chew but would need to be very determined to chew through a coop (or starving) the same goes for rats. One way to help prevent this is to have metal plates fixed to the entrance of the pop hole and corners etc. Also foxes have been known to open coops by lifting the latches so really you need to have bolts rather than latches.

Dominic

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2011, 11:15 »
Foxes arent stupid, they will eventualy figure out that a threatening noise isnt a threat.
If they're really hungry, they just wont care.

Secure Coop, Secure Run, Electric Fence.
We use chemicals in this garden, just as god intended

hillfooter

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2011, 23:35 »

It would be if you were to put an electrrified  "guard" wire about 5foot up spaced off using insulators and another about 6 inches above the ground spaced away from the fence to stop digging.  

OOh how I'd love to "educate" them  :D A friend has offered me a unit on loan, I'd only have to get the wire, how easy is it to do HF? I bet you lives mile away  :( Of to google x
[/quote]

There are two options for electric fencing.

1  An electric net -usually about 4foot high which as it's flexible can't be climbed.  "Educated" foxes can jump such a net but generally don't unless they've learnt to do it.  It has to be free from over hangs which a fox can easily climb and jump down into the run from so it can't run alongside a solid fence or an out building for example.  It can be baited with bacon which attracts a fox which wil get an electric shock when it licks or bites it.  once zapped a fox or dog will not come near.  Urban foxes are more determined and less frightened by man than country foxes which are generally more wary.  Nets work best in country locations where there is an alternative food supply ie wild birds and rabbits.  Urban foxes are scavengers and range close to humans and are bolder when it comes to jumping fences.  The advantage with nets is that they aren't permanent fixtures and can be relocated and erected quickly.

2   A rigid wire fence about 6 foot high either weld mesh, link mesh or chicken wire protected at a low level by an electrified strand or wire insulated from the fence.  Stand off insulators are easily available as well as stranded stainless steel wire and are cheap to buy and easy to rig.  They need to be rigged so that a fox can't dig under the fence of chew it, if it's chicken wire and can't climb it without getting zapped.  The main fence will need to be electrically connected to ground (earthed with an earth stake) and the insulated guard wires will need to be energised with an electric energiser which generates a very high voltage pulse that produces a shock without being dangerous to life.  This is the most secure system.

It's important to note that a shock is ONLY produced when the fox touches both the guard wire and the earthed fence (or ground) at the same time.  You will note that birds can happily perch on HT overhead wires without harm as they aren't touching earth at the same time.  An electric fence is ONLY effective if it is switched on and checked periodically to ensure it is working efficiently.  Most cases where an electric net or fence hasn't been effective are caused by bad design, installation or mantenance.

You should also not undereestimate a foxes intelegence and persistance.  Once it has overcome it's initial fear of the unknown it is more likely to come back and do it again.  Locking the stable door after the horse has bolted is a very bad strategy when dealing with foxes as they learn quickly from exerience and once they have been successful they then take a lot of stopping.

Yes Hamble is too far away for me to help you I'm affraid but implementing an effective electric fence is easily within most people's scope. :D
HF

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 23:44 by hillfooter »

OpiumEater

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2011, 11:18 »
Thanks HF, you are a star x  :happy:

Page created in 0.407 seconds with 37 queries.